Advice...add hens to the flock? Or no?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaB, Mar 12, 2013.

1. MamaB

MamaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    I have a small flock of 9 hens, and two roos. One of the roos has the 9 hens to himself and the other lives in the goats barn with the goats (of course) and the two ducks. I have had the hens and roo locked in the run for the past couple days since over the weekend, it seemed as if there had been a 'cock' fight between the boys. I am guessing the 'loner' roo has gotten tired have having no hens for himself. The had been free ranging together fine up until this point. So I found on Craigslist so full grown hens for $3 each. I have told the people that I would like 10, but I am starting to reconsider. I know that the other roo needs some ladies, but I am worried about adding to the flock. I have a dog pen next to the animal yard (I let the goats, chickens and ducks all hang out together in the same area) that I was considering putting the new girls and 'loner' roo in, but its that too close to the area I keep the old flock? The run is perpendicular to the dog run with the coop between. I am afraid of inviting trouble...germs, etc. Maybe start off with chicks again? I just don't know. Maybe I am over thinking? Advice, please!!

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    If it isn't very far it might pay to go check them out. I'm thinking the hens are older. Do you have a way to lick the hens in the goat barn after a quarantine time?
    If you do go to look at them brush up on what to look for before you go. 10 might be toomany.

Your other option is to get chicks, older ones would be best.

3. MamaB

MamaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    I can lock them up in the goat barn. Was thinking maybe putting a smallish coop in the dog run? You are right! They are probably older at $3 each...I just got so excited to find some for less than $20 each! Maybe starting over with chicks is the better idea. Brood them in the coop with the big girls...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by