advice again I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debleew1, Apr 22, 2017.

1. debleew1

debleew1 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    northern ireland
    Ok so thanks to all the support and advice my four 16 week old girls have been with me five weeks and are free ranging, coming back home to sleep and lay their eggs and follow us round all the time. Am happy with their progress and feel reasonably confident now. We had some bullying resulting in a few soft shell eggs and an injury but with some gentle putting the bully in her place this settled down and now have four eggs most days.

the monster chicks are another story. They have grown and grown and at just five weeks old are getting too big for their current place in my office!

can I put my large for age barred rock x Rhode Island red. They aren't using the titanic brooder except to sit on. Its 5-8 degrees c at night her in Northern Ireland, but I have bought a omlet cube so very well insulated for them to have before they join the big girls at about 14 weeks. The cube has its own run so they will meet through the bars. Please can I put them out in it. I have worked it they could still have the brooder on via an extension lead into the nest box placing the brooder in the main area and sealing off the nest box. I don't want them a pecking the extension lead and b0 using the nest box until they are needing to. The brooder can sit inside the main roasting area. its the omlet cube so the 8 chicks have more than enough room so if its cold or raining the can stay in. (I have bought covers for all round the pen so they cant get a draft even if they are outside for short periods.

Does this sound like a feasible plan?

thanks
    Deb

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If your babies are fully feathered (usually around 6-8 weeks) they should be ok outside. I know it's rough keeping them inside, but I would wait another week before you chance it......

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are they acclimated to your outside temperatures? That's more important than age. You certainly can take a week or to to get them used to being outside by putting them out there during the day than back to the brooder at night without extra heat. This way they familiar with the pen before they are out full time.

4. debleew1

debleew1 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    northern ireland
    thanks for advice everyone. I decided to let them play for a few hours yesterday when it was warm in the run. I went out to get them and they had all got up the steps and gone into the coop happily pecking at the food and jumping on and off the steps seemed happy so I put an electric hook up into the sealed nest box and put the brooder into the main part of the coop with a thick bedding. Its one of those titan ones so safe. I never slept a wink worrying I had probably murdered them but when I opened the door they jumped out of the coop had a fuss and found the outside food and water and have spent the day playing in and out. I turned the brooder off through the day I went to check them early evening and they had all but themselves in bed but were warm and snug as I put the brooder on again at 4pm to make it warmer so I will watch and see how tonight goes and keep the inside pen around just in case.

I do have a problem with one of my layers she started laying a few weeks back and all was well but a few days ago she laid a soft shell egg off the roost ( it was there at five a when I open the door for them) the next day I had three eggs so presume she didn't lay one. This morning I had two shell less eggs in the same place on the coop floor under the roost but got three eggs (I have four hens). Do you think she should see a vet she isn't subdued and is eating. has access to shell and is also free ranging. Any thoughts
    thanks Deb

5. debleew1

debleew1 Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    northern ireland
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by