Advice and experanced knowlage needed in NW FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EdFam4, Jan 27, 2011.

1. EdFam4

EdFam4 New Egg

Jan 26, 2011
    We are a family of four and have been wanting to start our own flock. We have a good friend that has been helping out and turned us to the site. We are hoping that others will join in his kindness and help us out sence we are starting from scratch. We like the look of the star, sussex, and wyandotte breeds. We live in NW FL(pleanty land, high heat, many predators). Right now we arn't looking for show, we want meat and egg birds. Does anyone out there have a better idea of breeds that would better suit us or are these good starters and can they live together in the same coop?

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome From Eastern Wa. Those sound like good duel purpose breeds they will get along fine> Make sure you predater proof your coop& run!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    [​IMG] Sounds good!! And I agree with mgw, if you have lots of predators, do lots of predator-proofing!! [​IMG] Good luck and congrats!!! [​IMG]

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG] . A predator proof coop and run is one of the best thing to invest in if you have chickens! There are many dual purpose breeds out there but if you want different breeds they will get along if you raise them together or introduce them slowly. Good luck!

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Great choices. [​IMG]

7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:those are good, and since you got nothing yet, I would get them all the same age. ehat ever you decide to get,
    and welcome from Ocala Fl [​IMG]

9. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome [​IMG] I've never had Star or Sussex chickens but I love my Wyandottes. They are large bodied, very good layers and very pretty.

10. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by