Advice and Help ASAP

KAZROB

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
Australia
Hi,

I need advice, I have a hen that has been on three eggs, one has just recently hatched as when I checked at 830 am today there was still 3 complete eggs, it is now 1130 (Australian Time) and I have notice one has hatched, it is not near the other eggs and is just laying in a 'floppy' heap, I thought it was dead, however has a heart beat as I can see it is breathing...what do I do? Mum is still on her other two eggs and not on baby, do I need to do anything? !7/11/13...advice would be really appreciated

Last edited:
As long as the hen is not pecking at the chick, place it back beneath her. It needs to be warmed up. If she is pecking at the chick, you will have to form some sort of a 'brooder' to warm it up. Good luck.

I would say make sure all the chicks are under her. Then she should do the rest. Usually broody hens don't need much help from people.
Good Luck!

Thanks I have placed the chick back under mum, however, I think she has passed on :( we went out to check that mum was not pecking at her, as suggested by Sourland and she wasn't, so we checked baby and we can no longer see breath movements? and when we moved her, her tiny little wing moved, but this time when we checked her there appeared to be no movement, it has now been a few hours since she/he hatched, so I am not sure how long to wait etc before moving her from mum....I just hope the other two eggs are viable for mum if this one isn't, all that sitting and good mothering to get nothing at the end saddens me :( I know it is nature, but they are our pets this is new to us...thanks for help the advice it is much appreciated :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
All you can do for the little one is keep it warm. Nature will decide in the end. Fingers crossed she makes it!

Thanks to 'EVERYONE' that has welcomed me to BYC! Anyway, nature has taken its course the little one didn't make it, It has been hours and there was no breathing movements at all, no flinching, no nothing, so we have laid her to rest under a beautiful Azelia plant :) We are now waiting in anticipation and hoping mum has successful hatching's with the two other eggs she is sitting on.....Fingers and toes are crossed :)

Good Morning from Australia: Thanks for the Good Hatching's thoughts...I need advice AGAIN, yes we have had another hatching this morning. I went into check and see how mother hen was doing and there was a baby chick still just getting out of the shell, she/he was quite lively and chirping, so I left mum do her thing....I then went back about an hour later and baby looks very still, and is it possible for the mother to 'squash' her babies, as she looks squashed like??? She is chirping, but no where near as lively, is this because she is tired and needs time...Excuse my ignorance, but we just don't know and someone suggested that I may need a 'brooder' what should this entail? and when do I decide to move her? I have placed baby back under her mum and her mum seems interested, giving her a tap with her beak and cleaning her a bit? So I am gathering this is all good signs.....I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad that I am now a member of BYC and I hope one day to be able to help others as I become more experienced and knowledgeable like the rest of you adorable PPL Happy Hatching's I hope........

Last edited:
Well for what ever reason I lost my second baby chick a few hours after hatching...the third one has hatched and is sitting under mum, she hatched at 1215pm there abouts, I just happened to be out there to check on mum....but what should be exciting for us, is a little worrying, because I am hoping and praying that this little one survives, especially for Cocoa (Mother Hen). Now tell me what I have read is baby chicks are fine if they don't eat for a couple of days, but what about water? Do I need to do anything regarding water, there is water in their coop/brooder area and it is one that the chick will not drown in, but I am thinking will she/he go to it, or do I have to take he/she to it and if so when do I do this. I am sorry if I appear to be very uneducated, but I am when it comes to chicks! I have had chickens for a long time, but never had a broody or hatchlings. I am researching and reading a lot, but there are so many conflicting ideas, hence why I joined BYC, everyone appears to have the authors best heart at interest with good sound, experienced advice. I have been a member for only a day, but a follower for sometime :) Advice would be much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom