Advice: building combo pvc tube feeder on bottom and waterer on top?

cfg

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Hoping someone (plumber?)with PVC fittings knowledge might help with this idea...I love the PVC feeders that fill the pipe with feed and end in a 90 or 45 degree angle for chickens to eat without spelling. I then realized that all the space above that bottom outlet is kind of wasted in my small coop. So, how would you take a 5 foot PVC pipe and use some sort of secure PCV fitting to allow one discharge around 2.5 feet that has water available midway down the pipe and use the bottom 2.5 feet to fill with feed that discharges at the bottom in the classic way. Any ideas are welcome--maybe we can patent it! Thanks!!

Interesting use of space, but having water directly above the feed will get the feed wet, just from the chickens drinking from it, with either a horizontal nipple or cup style fountain. And how would you refill the feed anyway? Got a drawing of what you're thinking of? :)

Thanks for the interest...sketched something out and attached. Basically, you'd fill the PVC top part with water thru a scupper of sorts and it would come out some PVC fitting about halfway down in to a short length of pipe with chicken nipples on it. To you excellent question, that could probably be turned 45 degrees to avoid drips in the food underneath. The bottom half would have a scupper to fill in feed that would deposit at the end/floor par of the PVC into the standard 45 degree piece for food. Make any more sense?

Attachments

• IMG_3101 copy.jpg
    IMG_3101 copy.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 43
They currently have no problems accessing the chicken nipples on the bottom of the bucket I have hanging around 2 feet off the ground.

The question is how might PVC fittings or couplings or bushings be put together to build something like the sketch?

Back
Top Bottom