advice? chick w/worsening leg problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiebaby, Apr 4, 2009.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    17 day old chick who walks with a real wobble due to both legs having some kind of paralytic weakness. Can't tell if its muscular or what, but it looks somehow more like nervous system than like structural, if you know what I mean. It's as if she is 'walking on her knees,' or rather as if the bottom half of her legs don't work. She can't perch either.

I do not think she was born with this symptom, though I can't be sure. I'm worried that it's not a birth defect but rather a symptom of disease. I've just never seen it before. Didn't notice it til she was over a week old- though again I can't be sure as I had a lot of chicks at the time - and it is definitely worsening.

My concern isnt so much for her- she is eating, drinking and growing quite well and I don't notice anyone picking on her - the question is whether she has a contagious disease or not.

Ideas? Advice? Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd separate her. Were they vaccinated for Marek's? I'm not saying that's what it is, I'm not sure I'd recognize it. But the thing is, whatever it is, if you lose her she's already out of the flock , and not in a position to infect any more.

3. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Thanks, Lynne. Anyone else out there?

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I would remove & cull ASAP.

5. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Thanks for the good advice. She's already separated, so we're set in that regard. But I hate to cull her if this is just a birth defect since it isn't stopping her from eating, drinking and growing.

Does it sound like a disease progression that anyone can name? I guess that's really my question.

Thanks!

6. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Seems like she's to young for Marek's, from everything I've read. We noticed this when she was only 10 days old. Any other ideas?

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I had a chick that was only about a week old and started having problems walking. I noticed that she was getting run over by the others and separated her out (by wire--in the brooder). She spent a lot of time sleeping and eating for a couple days, then was much better--she is doing fine but still a lot smaller. Do you have a calm chick you can put with her, or a way to separate her within sight of the others? I think mine may have been injured by the others jumping on her, never did figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by