advice choosing breeds!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taekook7, Feb 12, 2019.

1. taekook7

taekook7 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    hi again! first off i want to thank everyone who has replied to my threads! yall have been so much help thank you! So after all these suggestions i am now stuck in between getting a welsh harlequin or rouen duckling. Can someone let me know which breed if friendlier and a good breed for a beginner? I am also wondering if the supplies needed are the same as the pekin, and if i get 2 males, would they try fighting? or is it better to get 2 females? someone please let me know what i need for my duckling to be happy and help me choose between those breeds. please and thank you!

2. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Hey check out the reviews section of BYC - you can see lots of reviews for each breed. Here's the Welshie:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/welsh-harlequin.10905/
    The Rouen review is there too.

I've heard really good things about Welshies being great back yard pet ducks - the reviews are great too - and I just happen to be getting one in April :wee But one day I want a Rouen too LOL.

Chickenaddition and taekook7 like this.
  3. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    welsies are so big and cute! i like big ole goofie ducks

4. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    :lau

Jpat and Chickenaddition like this.
  5. I hate to add another choice to you as you are having a tough decision. However I would highly recommend Ancona Ducks. I am not sure what your looking for in ducks, but Ancona Ducks provide good meat and good amount of eggs too. They are friendly and also tend to stay close to home. Can be on field or with a lake or water.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/anconaduck

taekook7, Jpat and CrystaBub like this.
  6. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    AGREE! I have one Ancona and getting more in April - love the breed! Actually I haven't met a duck breed yet that I didn't like :lol: Part of my growing addiction problem!

7. Once I can create a small pond on our property, Ancona's will be on our small farm too. They come in several colors and all are beautiful. Love them. Hence I am an Ancona pusher.

I am creating a shirt / mug that will say...

My Ancona's don't want none, unless you got fluffy buns, hun!

8. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Songster

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    I vote for Rouens! Just be prepared for LOUD demanding quacking if you get females. Otherwise, Rouen ducks are absolute perfection!!!

CrystaBub and taekook7 like this.
  9. MeganFair

MeganFair Chirping

Mar 10, 2018
    Leesville, SC
    I am still pretty new, and the Welsh Harlequins we got were pretty easy. They are friendly, don’t tend to be nervous, and generally pretty easy going.

I think if you only have drakes they’ll be okay together. They will fight over females, from what I understand, but I’ve read about people keeping drakes for pets. However, I might be incorrect there. >.>

And the supplies are absolutely the same! Pekins, Welshies, and Rouens all need the same care and equipment.

taekook7 and Jpat like this.
  10. taekook7

taekook7 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: