Advice desperately needed - Hatching Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rachel96, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    One of my quail eggs has pipped and there's blood coming from the hole!

We've already had two successful, healthy chicks hatch this morning and the third was taking forever after pipping... it finally made the hole bigger and there's blood!

Is that bad? I've never had that before. I desperately need help and/or advice here!

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I would post in Incubating and Hatching Eggs

3. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    I have had quite a bit of blood left inside the shell after my last hatch. I was quite alarmed and kept an eye on those few chicks for oddities, but everything was fine with them. I'm not sure if this would be similar to what your seeing.

What I saw was blood actually pooled inside the egg shell after the chicks had hatched on two of the chicks. And I'll say again, they both survived and were fine. I hope your chick is okay as well.

4. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Yes, it seems fine now - it's completely out of the shell and recuperating from the ordeal of actually hatching (which it seemed rather reluctant to do). It was just a bit worried because it was wet blood in the pipped hole, rather than the redness of the inside of the shell that I saw in the others after they had hatched.

JakRat, to me, there was blood, that made it an emergency.

But as I said, the chick does seem fine now, but I will be watching it closely to make sure.

5. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    I'm so glad to hear this. Sometimes hatches include heartache and I was worried for you. I'm glad that you posted that your little one was fine. :)

6. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Thankyou!

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your knd comment, we've had a hectic few days here - the quails hatched and gave me a scare, also one of my sister's rabbits gave birth and then neglected her babies so they died.

Out of seven eggs, four quails hatched, which was about what I was expecting, but one hatched much after the rest and looked quite sickly - I left it in the hatcher for the more stable environment rather than move it to the brooder once it dried out like I did the others. Even so, it only lived about fourteen hours outside the shell, so that was quite sad.

But the one who bled out of the shell is now fine and looks a little bigger than the rest! It's quite healthy so my fears were unfounded. I have some more quail eggs to set tonight, so they should hatch on Easter Day.

from Rachel.

7. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Oh Rachel,, how exciting! An Easter hatch! I'm so jealous! My kids wanted to do one in the worst way, but we lent out our incubator. I've even toyed with the idea of bringing some home on Easter.... But DH would have my head.

Oddly enough, my son brought home an EMU egg from school today. We ran out to TSC and picked up a LG incubator that was on sale and there is one happy boy upstairs dreaming dreams of dinosaur birds (I'm sure). While Mom and Dad Are secretly hoping it's not fertile? What in the world will I do with an Emu? They don't really have teeth, do they?

So sorry to hear of your sister's bunnies, does she breed for pets, or meat, or 4H? So sad. I've heard of this before with rabbits.

-Martha

8. Rachel96

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Well, I was going to pick up some quail eggs from a local man I've bought quail eggs from before, but our car broke down so I wasn't able to - I've put only two eggs in the incubator because my girl hasn't been laying so well recently (the weather changed quite suddenly from hot and dry to cold and wet, I think that's the problem), and I'm not sure either will hatch. Oh, well.

Emu? That is odd. Where on earth would your son (or his school) get an emu egg from? You're in America, right? (sorry, I don't know much about your state acronyms, but I think 'PA' is in America somwhere). I have no idea what you'd do with an emu. I've seen emu chicks before, as most wildlife sancturies around here have them during spring, but I've never had one myself. I imagine it probably would be fertile as emus don't lay all the time like chickens, I think they'd only lay fertile eggs at the right time of year. Which probably isn't what you wanted to hear. But I think you could probably raise an emu - people around here raise all sorts of animals, kangaroos and possums being the most common 'wild' animals. I don't think they have teeth, but I don't like their necks!

I've got to ask, what's TSC? People here keep talking about it but I have no idea what it is. I gather it's a poultry or grain&fodder shop of some sort.

My sister keeps rabbits for pets. We started off with 3 when we lived in the city, but we moved to the country almost two years ago and had 4 litters in 2 months. We've been keeping the boys separate from the girls since then, but Midnight managed to get in with the boys about a month ago. I wish it had been the other original girl, as she's a good mother and hasn't lost any babies yet. But I suppose it's just as well this litter didn't survive (and I know it sounds cruel, I don't meant to be but I suppose it is), because my sister refuses to sell any of her rabbits, and we have far too many already. The rest of us are secretly hoping some will escape.

About the emu... if it does hatch, emus grow to be about as tall as people! Well, they're about waist-height, but their necks are scary (I have this thing with long necks. I also find alpacas, giraffes, and swans scary). But emu chicks are kind of cute. My mother and sister keep joking that my quail chicks look like miniature emu chicks because the quails are yellow and black striped, and emu chicks are black and white striped.

from Rachel.

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    PA (Pennsylvania) is in America, right below New York. There is actually a lot of people on this site with Emus as pets. They make great protection, but they need about 1 acre to run on. As for TSC, that is Tractor Supply Company. It is a farm store that carries pretty much anything you need for animals.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    how about that, Kaitie, I did not know that the Emu could provide protection, so no LGD is needed now, right? <JK>. ~sort of. We have been considering a Great Pyraneese, as there are many raccoons, skunks, opposums, fox... And my chickens have been victims. I'm not sure that an Emu's up to the task there.

My son's school is a bit non-traditional. I've learned that the egg came from the zoo where the school's director volunteers. We've got the acreage to accomodate the Emu, just not the fencing - which I would say is equally as important.

Yes, I'm in Pennsylvania, US. Rachel, the neck thing is cracking me up. I guess they can be a little creepy. I'll never look at a giraffe the same way again! And the baby Emus are darling ~. Let's just hope I don't have to find out in real life. I know that's simply horrible of me, but I've got a lot on my plate right now.... You know the drill. And seriously, an Emu? Why didn't they just send him home with a baby elephant? IF, it does indeed hatch, we'll figure it out. But it's okay with you guys if I secretly hope it doesn't, right?

I did not realize that there were striped baby quail. How sweet! What kind of quail are they? One of my husbands friends raises quail. I wanted to hatch some for him, but haven't gotten to yet. Perhaps this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by