1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice/Experience required. New vs Old/Repurposed building.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UgLeeDuck, Jan 28, 2014.

1. UgLeeDuck

UgLeeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I spent a joyous day yesterday collecting materials to build a new coop. I'm sure the skin will regrow soon and blood washes out fairly easily if you soak it fast enough. Came home to find that I'd been offered the use of a block-built shed by my neighbour.

The contenders:

Lots of nice new wood and OSB sheeting, area of land previously planned for growing veggies.
    vs
    Concrete Block built 16'x9' 'shed' with currently trees in place of a roof and 2x half visible dilapidated wheel barrows buried in amongst various other assorted rubbish which constitutes the 'floor'. Wall height at approx 6' on 2 out of 4 sides, room for improvement on the other 2.

Wondering if anyone had any prior experience with converting an abandoned building and regaining use of it from neglect.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Pictures?

3. OldRoo

OldRoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    if the neighbor moves, you would not have a coop

4. UgLeeDuck

UgLeeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I'll try and get some pictures today.
    The neighbour situation was one that concerned me but they've been in the property for years and a move is unlikely in the immediate future.
    It's too cold at the moment for pouring any concrete for footings so I've got about a week to decide judging by the long-term forcast.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Your livestock on someone else's property? I wouldn't do it.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd be way more concerned about this than the building itself. I find it's best to be friendly to neighbors, but not have intertwined lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by