Advice: First chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pne123, Apr 24, 2009.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    We got 2 chicks today, rhode island reds, and they cute. I have read and read but I have just some questions to clear up a few things.

I am using purina mills Start & grow food. Do I need to give the grit?

The feed store said to use newspapaer for the first week or so then switch to pine shaving cuz they will peck the shavings at the begining but i read not to do that cuz they can spead their legs and cripple them. what to use? newspaper or pine shaving?

I only have two chicks so I have nothing to compare w/ but one seems to lay down a lot and one seems to never lay down? is this normal to have a "lazy" chick?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    As long as you're only feeding the chick start you won't need to offer grit. If you give them any treats then set a dish of grit out.

I would do some pine shavings with papertowel over them until they realize that they should be eating their food and not the shavings. You are correct about not using newspaper - it's too slippery.

All chicks are different. I have some that are insanely hyper and others that are very mellow. That's the fun thing about chickens - they all have very unique personalities!

Congrats on your new fuzzbutts! [​IMG]

3. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks. I put paper towels down over the newspaper until i can get pine shaving tomorrow. they are both sleeping cuddled together in the corner. so stinking cute. i can not wait till we get our other 2 next week. we are getting a buff orpington and a easter egger to round out our first phase of chicken rearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by