Advice? Flock won't let a new chicken into the group...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by banananutmuffin, Jun 22, 2011.

1. banananutmuffin

banananutmuffin Out Of The Brooder

For various reasons (i.e. discovered some roosters among the group), I've had to integrate new hens into my flock.

First, I had 3 chickens and added 2 more for a total of 5. I tried to separate the newbies, but they kept flying into the run with the rest of the birds, so I just let them go. Integration went fine.

I had to get rid of one of the newbies (rooster), reducing my flock to 4. So I obtained one more hen. It was supposed to be a month older than the rest of my birds, but it is smaller in size.

Since integration went so easily the first time, I just put the new bird into the flock.

Well, the "old" birds won't let the newbie join the group. They seem to bully it... and it's not limited to just one bully (although one is definitely the leader of the bullies). They let the new bird on the roost with them at night, but they won't let it cuddle with the rest of them. They chase it around, pick on it, etc.

I have two separate waterers and two feeders to ensure the newbie can drink and eat.

Any tips for getting them to accept the new bird?

I don't really have the facilities or space for putting the biggest bully into solitary confinement or for separating out the newbie for a while.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. cram

cram Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    the newbie needs to be in a wire cage within the run so the other chickens can get used to her.... Best bet

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I think it's harder to integrate a singleton, than a pair of friends, into an existing flock. Did the newbie have a friend (or two) in her old flock that you could adopt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by