1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice for a new Chicken Mom

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DisneyGal25, Mar 31, 2016.

1. DisneyGal25

DisneyGal25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Update- We passed the chick on to another chicken mama!

Hello-

So we have 7 ducks & today while at TSC there was one lonely duckling in the bin I convinced my hubby we needed it. They wouldn't send me home with just one duck. They gave me a Cornish Rock for free, as it was in the pen with the duck.

So I've heard mostly bad things about keeping them as pets. I guess if it's going to die I'll give it to a friend to butcher. Unless someone can help me?

We feed our ducks all together and they only get two scoops a day about 4 cups of feed a day. So the Chicken when full grown would only get fed like them & would have to share. Any advice would be appreciated as I know nothing of chicken rearing. We wouldn't have taken the chicken had I known it was a meat bird and not long living. My kids have named it. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    It is possible to keep them alive to adulthood if food is heavily restricted. But most of the time they will have heart or leg problems before then. If you are set on keeping. Keep it on strict diet (hopefully someone else can help with specifics here) and don't give it a roost to prevent leg trouble. hope this helps

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is pretty unrealistic to expect a different outcome, I think you need to look at a different solution that food restriction.

4. DisneyGal25

May 3, 2014

I definitely don't expect a different outcome. I'm hopeful that there is a chance because I've read of people doing it. I'm just asking for advice on it. Thanks for your reply.

5. DisneyGal25

May 3, 2014

Thank you for your reply.

6. DisneyGal25

May 3, 2014

And for your advice! I figured that was going to be the outcome. Maybe we need to get another.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I hope I did not offend you, and I think I did. Some times typed words seem harsher than they are meant.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
  9. DisneyGal25

May 3, 2014

Thank you! We gave the chick to a friend who raises chickens and has quite a few! I appreciate the help!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by