Advice for Athena Please! Pictures included. Egg issue? Sad Update!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JanetS, Aug 12, 2013.

1. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Athena is our 1 1/2 old white leghorn. She usually lays an egg every other day. On her off days she is fine. Very chatty and bossy. She eats, drinks and takes her dirt baths. On the days she lays her egg she is very lethargic, weak, quiet and spends most of the day lying down. She does eat and drink. After she lays her egg she is a lot better. Egg looks normal. What could be the cause of this?? I have given her some olive oil but don't know how often I should give this to her. We have given her an Epsom Salt bath, but it didn't last very long. She refused to stay in for any longer than two minutes. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]This was taken this morning. She is now in the nesting box.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't see that she is having any problem at all. If she is still laying on her normal schedule, I would leave her alone. Olive oil is usually given for and impacted crop, and baths are given to birds who you think are eggbound. An epsom salt soak is good for bumblefoot, but I don't think you are dealing with any of those things unless there are other symptoms. She sounds normal.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Sad update. We lost Athena yesterday. Don't know what was wrong with her. It surprises me how attached you can become to your chickens. She was our favorite [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by