Advice for broody hens incubating duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've done a brief BYC search on the topic and it seems you can give a broody hen duck eggs to incubate. I have 6 Khaki Campbell ducks, 1 drake & 5 hens, and several mixed-breed bantams who go broody on a regular basis.

So I think I'll give the next broody hen some duck eggs to incubate. Is there anything I should do differently during the incubation, hatch, or chick-rearing stages? How long does it take for a duck egg to hatch? Will the hen be likely to accept these newborns that look so different from her? Will they follow the Mama hen and peck at the goodies she will scratch up for them?

Thank you for your imput!

2. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I wish I could help, but the only thing I can say is that I'm sure they will follow the hen around.

Once I hand reared chicks and they followed me all over the place. Wherever I tap my fingers, they go and peck at it. [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    vfem hatched duck eggs with her broody Silkie. They take 28 days. I've heard it can be quite entertaining to see a mother hen freak out when her babies start heading for the water. [​IMG]

4. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG] That would be hilarious!!!! [​IMG]

Anyway. Let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Ive read a few post on this subject, Do a search on it.

Alot of people feel it shouldnt be done b/c of the swiming thing, Others have had problems with there hens not accepting the duck babies.

IMO, I wouldnt do it.... I wouldnt risk what could happen. Baby ducks like to hit the water soon after they are born a mama hen wouldnt be able to take them, that could cause lots of problems.

I would just stick em in the bator if you really want to hacth them !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by