Advice for Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jedwards, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I'm on day 8 and am candling and I can see the brown and blue eggs developing fine. However, when I candle the olive eggs I can barely see the air sac because the whole egg is a black void lol.. Does anyone have any advice for candling olive eggs? Out of the 46 eggs I started with, today I discarded 3 infertile brown eggs and went out on a limb and nixed an olive egg that also turned out to be infertile (thank goodness because I was like 98% sure it was infertile, I could actually see in it but I was still scared to open it) I'm just curious how many of the olive eggs are fertile...11/11 blue eggs were fertile, 17/20 brown eggs were, and ?/15 olive eggs. Thanks!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've had a couple that there was no seeing into, at least not with my weak flashlight candler. Usually though if I looked close enough around the air cell line, I could make out the veining, just barely...lol

3. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I'll check that out, thanks!

4. yea they are hard to see through. I tried different lighting and still can't see though the void. I do see the air cell and some veins at day 11.

5. KelseyBoxer

KelseyBoxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    South Jersey
    I have the same difficulty with olive eggs. And I have bright blue ameraucana eggs that I can only monitor the air cell. My husband got us the brinsea candler with the enclosed hood and even that doesn't provide a good view. I do like the fact that we can candle most eggs right on the counter in normal light. I believe Brinsea markets this hood for classroom use. The point I am making is no matter how much you spend on your candler, sometimes you just have to make your best guess and when in doubt, dont throw it out!

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2...unless it smells...lol I only toss if it smells (or has blood ring/clears)

7. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad it wasn't just me who can't see through the eggs lol I'm going to leave them in there and candle again in a few days and hope for the best!

8. Yea I'm looking for Ameraucanas Only have 4 bright blue ones and 2 olive colors. So my understanding is the olive is a mix between blue and brown eggs. I got these fertile eggs from a friend.

9. KelseyBoxer

KelseyBoxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    South Jersey
    I have had really good hatches with my ameraucanas. I also have one hen who gives a greener egg,But those small blue eggs are solid in color. I can actually see better thru the olive egg. I just verify those blue eggs are not clear and then hope for the best. So far, so good. I have a few small silky mix hens who lay white eggs. I try to judge the hatch on the development I see in those eggs. I save them til the last so I can take my time and really get a good look. What a pleasure white eggs can be!

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree the olive ones are very difficult. But the air sac should be visible. Just have to get the right angle. I stared and stared at an olive egg that looked totally full.... then I saw movement and I almost dropped the egg, I was so surprised!

Here's my new cheap candler.
    This is just a store-bought, unfertile white egg. But it works fairly well, even not being in a dark room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by