Advice for chicks about to hatch. Keep them in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clalso, Apr 20, 2017.

1. clalso

clalso New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    Hello. A month back I purchased an incubator. I believe I made a mistake. I added two eggs to the incubator on April 6, another two on April 8th, another two a few days later. I have the brooder setup waiting for the new chicks. I just read where someone (not here) said to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator for 3 days and do NOT remove the lid. Ouch, how will I rotate over the other eggs yet to be hatched if I do not remove the incubator top. Any advice much appreciated. Oh, one last thing. What do I with the chicks, if anything, once they ready to be put in the brooder? Dry them off? I guess no if they are to be left for 3 days in the incubator.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

You leave them in the incubator until they're all dry and fluffy

3. clalso

clalso New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    Thank you for your answer. Will they get dry and fluffy in the first few hours or first day?

4. Poultry parent

It takes a few hours, if there's a chick that doesn't seem to be drying, then it's probably a sticky chick, meaning that it is dry, but the liquid from the egg dried on it, making it look like it's still wet. With that you just gently rinse them in warm water

5. clalso

clalso New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    Thanks again. Your answer was very helpful. For my other question, the one where I will have to remove the cover of the incubator to remove dry chicks, I'll have to hope the remaining eggs stay warm enough / humid enough during the time the incubator top is off to have hope they'll hatch a few days later. If you (or anyone else) have any comments / suggestions about that please let me know.

6. Poultry parent

As long as you monitor the temp, and humidity after the chicks are removed, and you lift the lid for as little as possible it would be ok

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The humidity going to rise as the chicks hatch..;).....Take them out as they dry...Do not wash your Chicks....They will fluff up..;)......

8. Kristi26

Kristi26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Central PA
    These answers are very helpful as I came in here wondering some of the same things! Sorry I can't be a help to you, OP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by