Advice for chiken not laying and not roosting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dubjoe, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Dubjoe

Dubjoe Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    Hi Folks

I'm a newbie here. Was hoping I could get some advice?

I have just installed a new coop and run. An A frame coop 4ft x 5ft with long - run 20m x 4m.
    Purchased 3 Young Rhode Island reds, owner was unsure how old they were but they look young.The plan is to have 6 in total.
    I'm having a problem that they wont roost but bunch up in the nest box. The roost is 6inches off the ground with two flat 2inch timbers. So I blocked the nest box off, they now sit corner on top of each other beside the nest box I blocked. They leave briefly for water and return to the coop. Is this normal and part of settling in?
    Many thanks

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    To get them to roost you have to place them on the roosts

3. Dubjoe

Dubjoe Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    Ah ok, I was thinking they would figure it out. Ill try this out today. Should open the nest box after a couple nights on the roost?
    Thanks

4. Dubjoe

Dubjoe Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    Ah ok, I was thinking they would figure it out. Ill try this out today. Should I open the nest box after a couple nights on the roost?
    Thanks

5. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    you have to place them on the roosts every night for like 3-4 nights then they will get it and thats up to you

6. Dubjoe

Dubjoe Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    Thanks, ill try shift them onto the perch.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how long you have had these girls, but chickens don't take change lightly so if they are a recent addition it will take some time for them to adjust to their new surroundings. That might be why they are spending so much time inside the coop. Give them time to feel "at home", maybe entice them to come out with a bit of a treat, like mealworms".

Hope you enjoy having chickens, they can be a lot of fun!

8. Dubjoe

Dubjoe Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2016
    This is the 4th Night. I had chickens previously but I moved address and started fresh. My 1st chickens were text book perfect. I popped them in to their new coop, they perched and I had eggs that morning. amazed how easy it was but this time I'm learning the real way. I've thrown them scraps of veg and they took it all so that was a good sign. I think your right , it was all a bit too much. The move, wings clipped, new house etc.

Thanks

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It's pretty common for young birds to be unsure where to roost. However, roosting in the nest box is definitely a habit you want to break early. I would block off the nest boxes completely as a first course of action. Secondly, if this does not work, you can place them on the roost by hand.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by