Advice for hatching Seramas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DerbyTheRoo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. DerbyTheRoo

DerbyTheRoo New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Hi everybody,
    Hoping somebody could help me with this situation. I used to have an account, but decided just to start a new one as I haven't been on it in a few years. I have a flock of seramas (1 rooster and 3 hens) and I've been trying to hatch some chicks as I've heard that they are most fertile in February. I've tried 4 eggs (separate times) and only one hatched, but died a week or two later. So I tried again in January and they were supposed to hatch last week, but they died in the egg. I know serama eggs are hard to hatch, but I feel so bad for my hens, they've been broody for ages. Any advice?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    So you are saying the "Broody" hen is trying to hatch----instead of "you" putting them in the incubator. If its the broody hen----is she alone in her nest or the other hens get in and out of her nest?? I did not have good luck with my first shared nest years back so I do not allow that to happen anymore. Did you check the eggs after they did not hatch to see what was in there. Is it possible the hen gets off the eggs to long and they die?? I figure its cold where you live too so it would not take long for them to get cold and die. If they are broody----someone has to be not broody if you are still getting some eggs???

3. DerbyTheRoo

DerbyTheRoo New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Well there are two broodys and the other hen hasn't started laying yet. It doesn't usually get below 40 where I keep them because they are in an airtight room with a strong heat lamp on them. Should I put more than two under them next time?

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Where are you getting the serama eggs if one is not laying yet and the other 2 have been broody so long?? ""I"" would not want 2 hens in the same nest----if that is what you are saying. I would separate them---again if that's what you are saying.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  5. DerbyTheRoo

DerbyTheRoo New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    They would lay then go broody for awhile then lay again. Why is it bad to have two broody hens on one set of eggs? Thanks :)

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, I got you now.

The 2 broodies alot of times will pull eggs out of anothers nest when one gets off the nest. Then when the other gets off the nest the other will pull. I have seen eggs just laying mostly uncovered between them. That is all it takes---a few hours unheated and the chicks in the egg die----and you never know it because the next morning they got them back under them and warm. Has happened to me years ago and I am sure many others----even though I am sure some never had a problem. Thing is I have never had a problem separating my many broodies that started setting together---I "properly separated them into their own nest and All hatch virtually all the eggs that were fertile---so separating them was never a problem with good hatches every time. In just 3 years I have set over 150 broodies, so I got a little experience. I personally want to do what needs to be done to insure my hens have the best hatches. I am not bragging---just stating facts that I hope people can learn from---((this is my purpose for being here----to help)) with over 150 broody hens set in just 3 years---72 of those in the last year, I have Never had a bad hatch in the last 3 years.

7. DerbyTheRoo

DerbyTheRoo New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    I'll definitely try that when I set some more eggs! Thanks so much for the advice its extremely appreciated

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by