Advice for helping a Wyandotte after attack by a Russell terrier? (*warning*: somewhat graphic photo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TMike, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TMike

TMike Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Okay. So. A couple of days ago two Russell terriers made their way into our yard and attacked our girls. Most came through just fine. Three were hurt, though. Two of those seem to be on the mend, having lost a lot of tail feathers but little else. Our Wyandotte, however, is in pretty sad shape. It seems her right leg is lame - a sprain? - and, as you can see in the photo, she was pretty well bit from behind.

Right now we've got her in a travel cage inside with us. And we're on Day 4 of this adventure. She won't eat, though she had a swallow or two of yogurt yesterday morning. So we're feeding her broth and Pedialyte with an eye dropper. Right now, she just sleeps or sits and stares. Doesn't react to much. Breathing is unimpaired. So, that's good. But, of course, we're concerned for her and trying to figure out how best to treat her wounds so they heal properly and she can rejoin the cluck.

Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike

[​IMG]

2. TMike

TMike Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Forgot to mention: we've been keeping her wounds clean with hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. Have also applied aloe to help soothe. Hence the wet feathers in the photo here.

3. wagoncab

wagoncab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Charlotte
    I have heard and read that you don't want to use peroxide every time as it kills new skin growth. A one time cleansing with it I think is ok. Neosporin is good but make sure it is not the kind with a pain killer.I think it is toxic to them.
    Cindy in Tn

4. BandofBantams

BandofBantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    I had a similar incident w/ my White Crested Black Polish who got under our fence & had a run in w/ the neighbor dog. She looked considerably worse than your poor girl. I brought her inside & washed her w/ baby shampoo so I could check the damage & then blow dried her so she wouldn't catch a chill. I forced her to drink water by dipping her beak in it until she drank. I also disinfected her wounds w/ hydrogen peroxide diluted w/ 50% w/ water because it's too strong at full strength for animals. I had a Vet tell me this years ago & I've done it for any pet injury over the years w/ great results. I then applied polysporin, similar to neosporin. I continued the force drinking every 2 hrs & then after a day gave her moistened food. She healed completely & I really thought she wouldn't make it. I think if they make past the first 24 hrs & you continue treating her wounds & keep her hydrated she will be fine. Good Luck!

5. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Follow the advice about the hydrogen peroxide. It can actually cause tissues to become necrotic. Dilute it with either water or saline if available. Even better would be if you could find a chlorhexidine solution. If you have a vet near by they may just give you some (my hospital would). Rinse the wounds daily or soak them, pat dry, and apply antibacterial ointment. Good luck. Were they your dogs? If not, do you know who the owners were? They should pay for a trip to the vet for your chicken.

6. tamglas

tamglas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks for all of the good advice. I went and got some Blue Kote (spelling?) at the feed store and applied it to her wound tonight. We also force fed her some food and water.
    I hope she makes it...she is one of our sweetest chickens. It was pretty amazing that we had four neighbors respond right away to help get the dogs off the chickens or I'm sure the outcome would have been much worse. Hopefully, we can find the owners of the dogs who did this. We haven't even taken here or the others to the vet and we have spent so much on medication and supplies.

We will see about finding the chlorhexidine solution, unless you think the blu kote will be enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by