Advice for hen found near death Updates

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StupidBird, Nov 3, 2011.

1. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Found my pet silkie Tribble floating in a bucket when I came home. Thought the hen was dead, she was so stiff and cold. Actually brought inside to wrap for burial (it's the silkie, Tribble). ? Movement? So, warm baths, gentle warm blow-dry; increasing respiration, heartbeat and responses.

An hour later, she is dry, warming on a heating pad, wrapped in a towel, in a dark room in a towel-shrouded cage. I just checked on her, breathing is less labored although still slow and heaving her body and head. Leaving her be, but checking every quarter hour that it's not overheating.

What's next?

8:20pm update: Ok, the electric heating pad turns off every 20 minutes as a safety feature, so I have three 40watt light bulbs shining down into her box. I guess I've got to wait until morning to see how she'll do. She was occasionally shivering until I put that third one in there. Will continue to check until I go to bed.

9:05pm update: She pooped. I take this as a good sign her functions are returning, even though she made a mess of her feathers. Head is held a bit more upright and turns when I open the door. Are her eyes open yet? Who knows - it's a silkie. I put a tiny dish of yogurt plus crumbles, and a tiny dish of water with a smear of a drop of vitamins, in the box next to her towel wrap. I put a hand to her feathers - warm under the lights - but her bottom is still not normal warm, even with the towel.

6:30 am Next Day Update: wow! Eating, drinking, pooping, and giving everything the stinkeye. Wandering around her box, a xxl storage tote for the truck, as if contemplating mayhem (hence the super upgrade in space and security of objects). This is a one year old, tough little bird! *cue Monty Python "not yet dead", please* Just keeping her warm, quiet and fed for a couple days to see that no cold develops. wow.

Last Update, three days later: TA DA! The hen has been released back into the flock. No apparent ill effects, although I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks to BYC, I didn't give her up for dead. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. nmurphie

nmurphie New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    I have no advice but would like to hear how she goes. Good luck!

3. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    good luck. keep us posted!

4. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope she will be okay! Sending good thoughts your way.

5. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    I am sending good thoughts too! I wish I knew what to do to help......

6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Poor girl. Maybe some vitamin water?

7. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

It is always a good idea to keep buckets of water away from chickens. Especially for small young chickens. We lost a 2 week old chick that way. On the up side it does kill a lot of mice.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hopefully she'll pull through. Be careful with those lights. Make sure they can't fall and catch fire.
    sharon

9. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow . I hope she pulls through. Sounds encouraging so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by