Advice for mediterranean breeds in a cold climate

Libchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Hi everyone
frow.gif
I have two chickens who I recently learned are at least crosses of Mediterranean breeds https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=415044 I live in a pretty cold area, a bit SE of Syracuse, NY. Overnight lows of -10 to -15F are not uncommon, with colder weather occasionally and LOTS of snow. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with raising Med breeds in colder areas and what advice you might have
smile.png
I've read through a lot of the general cold weather advice, and I'm confident that the setup I have is more than adequate for the heavier breeds. I'm just concerned about the lighter feathered two!

They both seem fine with the weather so far, but it hasn't gone below 20F at night, and there is a heatlamp in the coop at night in case they need it. It was funny to watch them react to snow for the first time, though! The coop is double walled, and well sealed against drafts. They also have their larger breed flockmates to roost with at night.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong section of the forum, please let me know
smile.png

If you still have the rest of your flock with the Mediterrean breeds, they will be fine. The heat lamp will just take the chill off and Vaseline on combs and wattles will keep it from frostbites but it wont prevent it tho.

th.gif
Ackkk!!! You guys have already had snow???? YUCK!! I'm hoping for an easy winter...
Sorry...no advice since I have winter hardy breeds, an insulated coop, and add a lamp when it gets too cold. If you haven't already, you can tarp the prevailing winter wind side(s) of your run to help encourage your birds to come out...since the icy wind is harder on them than the cold itself. And you're willing to use your lamp if needed, so I'm not sure what else there is...

Last edited:
EweSheep, thank you! I'm very glad to hear they should be ok with their fluffier buddies to snuggle with at night.

teach1rusl, thank you as well! I think I may take your tarp suggestion- I feel like that would also help keep the coop at least a little warmer by keeping the wind off it. And yes, snow already!

I've raised White Leghorns, Light Brown Leghorns & Blue Andalusians. The only problem I ever had was males freezing the points off their combs. I'm south east of Syracuse also.

Last edited:
NYREDS and rodriguezpoultry, thank you both for your responses
smile.png
I really appreciate all the input!

Back
Top Bottom