Advice for Midge's bad leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsejody, Apr 9, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Midge is a 5 week old golden cuckoo Marans pullet. She is extremly small for her age. SHe is half the size (maybe less) of her hatch mates. I suspect some type of dwarfism because her upper legs seem too short. Midge's legs have always seemed weaker than the others. She has has problems with spraddle leg off and on. Most of her chickhood has been spent in bandaid leg braces. One leg always seems to want to point sideways and not stay under her. At one pont the braces seemed to work and her leg was pretty straight. I thought she was cured and was so happy. She could stand and walk, and the leg was straight. A week later it was back out again. I was so disappointed because she is so sweet. She eats and drink well and is in a brooder with just one of her siblings (a very quiet pullet named Marion). We had to separate her because one of the baby roos is hyper. I suspect that the original injury was from him running her over. He was running into and over everybody. The new braces don't seem to be helping. I take the off every few days to check for improvement. At 5 weeks old is there any hope? If it gets to the point that she can't walk, I'll have her euthanized. I know chicks can survive with one leg. Would there be any benefit to having the vet amputate the bad leg, or is she too old to adjust to that.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We managed to get our BBB jake back on his feet for month (couldn't walk at all much of his time as a poult). If he had been able to survive on air and water alone he might have made it (even on restricted diet he grew too heavy for weakened legs).

Though the following is primarily focused on parrots (chapter on neonates) they do have photo of foam rubber prothesis on a chick (and they are bigger chicks): Chapter 30 neonatology pg. 830.

The entire book can be downloaded and is a good reference (chapter on our friends the galliformes):

Avian Medicine: Principles and Applications: http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html

Good
    luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by