Advice for month old chicks

Delmara

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
Wills Point, TX
I just purchased three month-old chicks this morning. We are currently keeping them in a large cardboard box inside the house in our living room.

We keep it around 70° give or take a little inside the house. I think they need a heat lamp/additional heat source but my folks are adamant that they are fine since they are inside the house and there are three of them to keep each other warm.

What do you guys think?

How do they act?
Are they cheeping loudly, running around, huddled like they are cold?
At a month old that is probably ok, the birds will tell you if it's not. Just keep them out of drafts.
Show us a pic! Would love to see them.

Do you have your coop ready for them?

I think they are fine. Do you have a coop? Other chickens? When the outside temps are decent (above 50*) you can take them out side for a bit every day to get them used to outside temps. When they are fully feathered, it's time to work on getting them outside full time. But you want to work at it gradually. Take them out for a bit, and let them scratch around in the grass, bring them inside if they huddle or complain loudly, then increase the time a bit every day till they are outside all day (in a safe enclosure) then they should be ready to move into their coop full time.

If they are 3 months old aren't they already full feathered? Ok I read the wrong. Sorry. In the house they probably are fine but yes, I'd watch their behavior! Enjoy your new babies!!!

Last edited:
I just purchased three month-old chicks this morning. We are currently keeping them in a large cardboard box inside the house in our living room.

We keep it around 70° give or take a little inside the house. I think they need a heat lamp/additional heat source but my folks are adamant that they are fine since they are inside the house and there are three of them to keep each other warm.

What do you guys think?
There are three chicks, 1 month old. Missing a bit of punctuation in that first sentence. The title post says month-old chicks.

I believe they are borderline fully feathered, I'll have to check when I get back home. When I left they were huddled next to each other and appeared to be napping. Thank you guys for your quick responses ^___^

How do they act?
Are they cheeping loudly, running around, huddled like they are cold?
At a month old that is probably ok, the birds will tell you if it's not. Just keep them out of drafts.
Show us a pic! Would love to see them.

Do you have your coop ready for them?

I have a coop but it is not assembled just yet.

I believe they're Barred Rock, and they eventually will be moved into a rather large room in the back of our barn and the prefab coop will be used as a sort of transition/door to the chicken run. It's rated for 3 to 4 chickens use so I think it should be good in the meantime.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom