1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice for my beat up pet chicken.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KaynigKritters, Aug 28, 2013.

1. KaynigKritters

KaynigKritters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Caught red handed. Our Great Pyreneese pup has been eating our chickens and today I caught him. He is now tied to a tree and will be there daily while the chickens are free roaming. My question is what can I do for our poor beat up chicken. She is moving around alright but is moving slower. She is missing a few feathers but is not bleeding. Should I seprate her from the other hens tonight? She seams to be in a vulnerable state and I don't want her to be abused anymore. Should I give her anything that would make her feel better sooner? Thanks for any input.

Marlene

2. KalisCoop

KalisCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Hi Kaynig,
    I may be a newbie but have been told not to put injured chickens with healthy ones. Chicken instinct may make them attack or pick on your injured bird even if it is not bleeding. To be safe I would keep her separate until she starts acting normal.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Definitely keep the injured chicken away from the flock, yes. It is correct that healthy chickens feel threatened by weaker ones. They believe the weaker chicken will endanger the flock.

Let her heal in privacy and quiet, but keep a close eye to be sure she eats and especially drinks.

When chickens are removed from familiar surroundings, they will slowly stop eating and drinking. You must be sure she stays hydrated.

4. KaynigKritters

KaynigKritters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Thank you. We decided to let her stay with the others. She seamed much better this evening and was back to her normal self. When I went out to feed she was up front as usual. I am so glad she is ok. She is my favorite out of all 20 we have. :)

5. KalisCoop

KalisCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Glad she is okay too! [​IMG] I am always crazy worried, even though mine have a secure run on their coop. I don't know what I would do if one of my dogs decided to have a chicken dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by