Advice for my chicks, HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KomodoMNO, Nov 4, 2013.

1. KomodoMNO

KomodoMNO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Hi! I'm a first time chick mom and our babies are just about 3 weeks. I'm about 90% sure that two out of the four are roosters(pictures below).. We can't keep any roosters, but luckily the breeder is going to take back the little guys... but I'm confused as to what to do now! Will they be happy with just the two of them or should I get one or two more to introduce to the flock? I'm worried about breaking them up, but I figured it's better to do it while they're still little than when they're older. I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times before, so thank you in advance for your patience and advice! :) [​IMG] Gracie^^ Barred Rock/Ameracauna Mix. We think she is a lady. [​IMG] ^^ Rooster 1? [​IMG] ^^ The boys up close. Their combs have turned slightly red, while Pip's is still small and the same color as her beak. Their feathers are also way more vibrant than hers now that they are coming in. [​IMG] ^^ Rooster 2? [​IMG] Pip^^ Barred Rock lady?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Your hens will be quite happy without the boys! And two is enough for a "flock". Don't worry. They will be fine.

3. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    It is still a little too early to tell what their sex is without a doubt, however, I would have to agree that those two are looking rooish. I was almost positive I had 4 roos out of my 6 chicks at four weeks old...and I was right. Their combs were taller, pinker, and their feather barring was bright. I would wait a couple weeks to be sure. Also, I have read here on this forum that their have been cases where chicks have turned out to be the opposite sex than what was thought...sometimes not being 100 percent positive until a few months old.

I agree with the above poster that the pullets will be just fine without the boys. If you plan on getting any more chickens in the future, though, I would do it now...makes it easier on you and the chicks to introduce the new ones inside a brooder than a coop. Less blood that way, too!!

Good luck!!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes I also agree your pullets will be perfectly happy without a rooster.i have all females too.i can't keep the roos and my girls are just fine without them. It won't effect egg production or anything. Your girls will be perfectly happy. And yes two birds are fine to keep. I do however agree that you should wait a bit longer before rehoming the birds to be CERTAIN that they are in fact male. It would be awful to accidently give away a female. Just make certain that they ARE in fact males before you re home them. Your birds are beautiful!! Hope this post helps some. Best wishes to you. :)

5. KomodoMNO

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Thank you all for the advice! We've decided to wait a few more weeks before making any final decisions! My better half is so nervous for rooster noises, but I keep reassuring him we have another month or so before any of that will start. Hopefully they don't prove me wrong lol. Plus I noticed one of the chicks is a tiny bit duller in color than the other while we were outside today, but he/she is the one with the larger comb so we shall see how it turns out. I will post again as they get older!

And thank you realsis! They are all so sweet and have such silly personalities. We are trying not to become too attached just in case they do turn out to be roos lol. Your Silkies are too adorable! :)

6. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I have two Barred Rocks that are 4 weeks old. I would say its way too early to tell. Rocks have decent sized combs as hens and some can be darker/ lighter while some tend to mature faster. One of mine has the more pink comb and vibrant feathers, but is also the smallest of the bunch. Wait another month or two and look for saddle feathers.

Keep us posted. There is only a 10% of getting a rooster anyway.

7. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I took some pictures when i got home. (Cell phone doesnt do that great of a job.) The birds in the front and back are Barred Rocks. At one month old the one in front is much lighter, but both still have the white spot on there head and the lighter one has a lot of dark on her legs. Its super friendly and loves my wife. If it turned out to be a roo that would be bad news!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KomodoMNO

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Hey everyone! Here is an update on the chicks so far!

[​IMG]

They are just under 6 weeks old (will be on Tuesday). We're still confident that two of our chicks are hens, one is for sure a rooster, and we are unsure of the other because of the differences between the two. My better half thinks roo, I say possible hen. What do you think?

Roo 1 is smaller, has a squarish build, and a more defined comb and wattles. Her/His feet are pale with a black streak and not nearly as big as roo 1's. Roo 2 is long and slender, has really thick yellow legs, but a less defined comb and wattles. He doesn't like to be handled as much and we've heard him make some pretty strange noises lol. They both have the vibrant coloring, but roo 1 is slightly duller than roo 2, and her/his tail has come in a little more than roo 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^ Gracie, our barred rock/ ameraucana mix.

[​IMG]
    ^^ Pip.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  9. yardbird53

yardbird53 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    South Carolina
    Here's a photo of my barred rock at 7 weeks old - no comb is noticeable and now at almost 11 weeks it's just starting to show signs of growing.

[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You have 2 males and 2 females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by