1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice for our Friends of Park group

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kalsti, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kalsti

Kalsti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello,
    I need some help or advice regarding a group that some of us volunteers have formed to oversee the safe behavior toward the wildlife at our city park. This was started following many of us witnessing abusive actions toward the geese and ducks who live at this park. We would like to have some help or advice regarding the following, as we are not familiar with these types of wildlife as pets, but want to protect them from further harm.
    1) Is there a place or online site where we can buy a couple of dispensers for packages of healthy geese and wild duck food? (Visitors are feeding the poor birds everything from doughnuts to oatmeal, and moldy white bread.) The dispensers should be permanent and of heavy enough material to prevent vandalism, as this is a park and is open all night long.
    2) Is there a place or a suggestion for a detachable mesh grid that could be attached to the existing drainage grill --in Spring each year to prevent any more ducklings from being swept down into the drainage pipe?
    3) If the Oregon Fish and Wildlife cannot help us with an injured goose because the wildlife are considered "domesticated" what alternatives do we have as park users to help this goose?
    Any information you have on any of these items would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    K

1 person likes this.
  2. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Advice from a goose duck lover that lives across the street from a City Lake, I know no such thing as animal help or concern in our area either.
    Duck hurt Can't call anyone, just because the way it is. Drives me crazy.

Researching so much info, best to let it Go Don't feed them and try not TO CARE I know,..... not funny

Or you will be super
    Overwhelmed as I wanting to take care of all, It is impossible and not a good thing.

Dispensers? Would You County want to be Obligated to Make Sure all dispensers are filled ? Winter Summer Fall
    feed costs.

It Would prevent them from hunting on their own bugs flies....? I so understand your concern......

Trying to give advice, as I am so guilty myself, it is hard to ignore.

I read a don't feed ducks Sign One entire lake, a print out on a tree really gosh I have been breaking the rules.

oh my come and get me. I walk around lake and usually bring birdseed, it really is still not ok after researching.

They all see, swim as fast as they can to Many fight for their ladies...lol
    I had no idea ducks could be so mean... territorial

really it is best to Try to ignore. I know impossible .....I can try to give good advice
    doing what I read learned ducks goose geese RULES not very good at.

Respectfully, to all byc great info
    Kim

oversee the safe behavior toward the wildlife at our city park. This was started following many of us witnessing abusive actions toward the geese and ducks who live at this park.

I wish all would join that mission, Once they depend on a dispenser / person they don't or won't hunt only wait for you.
    I seen the donuts and all bla not good.

Recently I have Only Paid Attention to Signs Saying:

Please Do not feed the Ducks. I do know if I would only
    listen but I get it.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good luck to you, Many do care nice to read your info. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now just help me with a hurt goose, family had to fly away today.? feed not feed searching [/FONT]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    There are lots of feed dispensers, zoos have them installed so look for animal feed vending machines.

On another note, its likely the park isnt filled with lots of wild waterfowl, but rather dumped domestic birds (ducks and geese both) this is why the wild life department wont help you. You should approach the parks department about rounding them up and having an adoption day to get the dumped birds into homes.

2 people like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2

5. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks Leanback and CelticOaksFarm for the info. Unfortunately our group will keep trying to do what we can to improve the lives of the "community pets" that live there. I have the time now and the others do also. We just needed some good references to help us find the dispensers, grille, and all.
    Appreciate the info!
    K

6. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    Does anyone have a good technique for getting geese to open their beaks so I can give her the antibiotic? Or can it be put in something she will eat???
    Thanks!
    K

7. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    The wild birds are so happy here at the park~ the only thing is they are vulnerable to dogs and people who don't treat them well...... Joey the Goose is rehab-ing at my house until she gets stronger to go back to the lake.... She had a 5" gash on her chest and osteomyelitis in the leg causing her to fall down....so the Vet put her on antibiotics which may help heal that. What advice to you all have about putting her back at the lake once she is healed and stronger? (I think she is domesticated as she lets people pet her and eats out of my hand.)
    Thanks,
    K

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might try putting the antibiotic on a piece of bread, most geese will eat bread so it's a good way to get them to take their meds. I used it on my gander when he had to have an antibiotic. also you can hold them between your legs standing up with their heads facing away from you. hold onto the bill and open it up put the meds just inside the bill close and hold till they swallow. might rub under the neck to get them to swallow.

9. Kalsti

Jul 31, 2013
    Lydia your menagerie sounds wonderful!!!! I love that. I did use the bread and it worked. Thanks so much!

10. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    If you can keep Joey at your house, that would be best for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by