Advice for Prepping to Ship for Necropsy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hokankai, May 25, 2012.

1. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My rooster has gone lame/wry necked and is wasting away despite eating ok. I have been putting this off for a long while because he was one of my favorites (my avatar)...but I just can't watch him go as slowly as he is. I KNOW I need to euthanize him, but I need to find someone to do a clean cervical dislocation for me because I just can't do it.

I want to send him off to the state vet for a necropsy, but I need advice on how to prepare and ship him for it. The accession form I filled out said to remove insulation fluff and I'm not sure what that means. I also have a dilemma because I'm coming to this epiphany at the start of the weekend when it's too late to ship. Should I wait until Monday to euthanize him? What if he goes before then...where do I store him? He cannot be frozen and I highly doubt my mother would appreciate having a dead rooster in her fridge.

As for shipping, I have a styrofoam cooler, but I need ideas on how to keep it chilled during overnight shipping without making a mess.

Thanks in advance. I'm really hoping this necropsy will give me the answers I'm looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: