1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

advice for proper dead bird disposal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rugerlady, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Rugerlady

Rugerlady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    So sadly I'm nearly 100% sure that somehow my little flock contracted newcastles disease. I've had 4 birds die in two weeks. I'm devastated. I have 16 left but am sure that most if not all may die. Any way I need to know the proper disposal method of these poor things. Any suggestions? Also, am I required to report my suspicions to the department of agriculture? I'm located in california if that helps. Also should my family not eat the eggs of the birds that are not displaying symptoms?

2. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I don't know anything about Newcastle's but I do know that in the state of California, they will do a necropsy on your birds for you. Newcastle's is a reportable illness! Castportpony (Kathy) has some info on her page about how to send a bird in, etc. If you type Newcastle's disease into the search line, you may find some help. So sorry about the loss of your birds and good luck on finding a solution.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by