Advice for sexing my chicks at 4 weeks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sekeyslaks, Nov 14, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello All!

I have two radically different chicks that are almost 4 weeks old in a few days.both chicks I are RIR/red EE crosses from my flock.
    One of the chicks(Chick 1) is a very fast growing chick,with thick legs,small comb coming in(but not red yet) almost fully feathered with a dull red color.At first glance I think it looks like a pullet,it acts like a pullet too very calm and subdued,it doesn't carry it's long tail very high like a rooster would.But it's growing it's comb first which has me worried that she is a he it's thick legs are also throwing me off.but that comb isn't big or red either!
    The next chick(Chick 2) has Much brighter red coloration,this chick grows more slowly,it's still not fully feathered like the other chick,it has a beginning of a comb but no size,structure or redness that screams rooster!this chick also has thick legs and a small stubby tail,that it keeps a little high,this chick is slightly shorter than the other chick,like they are weeks apart development wise rather than the same age!This chick is also bold and playful challenges and plays with the others.when I put younger chicks in with this chick 2,it immediately challenged and bullied them,Chick 1 didn't do anything at all,Chick 1 acted like they didn't exist!

You can see why I'm having trouble sexing these chicks,I believe Chick 1 is a female,and Chick 2 is a male.Will someone with experience tell me whether I'm correct in my diagnosis?I'm sorry but due to my inherent clumsiness and ignorance with technology there are no pictures to show you of these chicks which is why I wrote a detailed account of the chicks

P.S. I also have 6 other chicks,that are much younger.They are EE's/EE crosses and a few black stars(one male and a female),three of the EE's have that wild brown female look.I was wondering whether this proves they are pullets,or can EE cockerels get this coloration too?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    [​IMG]Very Informative!Thank you! I was afraid that they might both be male,that first chick is hard to figure out!Both their combs are Not significant,very small,yellow and more like a bumpless ridge than anything! the wild-type chicks I added in my message are only 2 weeks and 2 days old,is this an acceptable age to distinguish their markings?

Anyone else have any imput?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    I just went to look at the two chicks again,to see if there were any more clues,there is hardly any comb development on Chick 2,Chick 1 just has a small ridge.I remember reading somewhere on BYC that a "patchy" coloration was indicative of a rooster?I ask this because Chick 1 still has some red EE feathers through some of his body breaking up the more solid feathers!Chick 2 is different has more solid red feathers ending in a pattern at the tip only.If Anyone has any thoughts please share them![​IMG]

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You could tell from hatching onwards, generally, if they had their 'racing stripes' on. ;) Males tend to be a lot blurrier and duller than the females. Not ambiguous.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by