Advice for spot on comb

Heather McFloyd

Chirping
Jan 19, 2020
My flock has been through pox, the dry type. They broke out about a year ago and have healed. My dominicker has a spot on her head that has developed over the last 8 months or so. At first it was small and looked like some residual spots, maybe scarring. I left it alone because I thought it was pox. Then this thing started growing larger. This picture is from today. This thing is hard and will flake off if I scratch at it. What is it? How do I treat it? She is laying, eating, drinking, and acting in her normal, hateful way.

Attachments

• PXL_20220905_193850653.jpg
    PXL_20220905_193850653.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 11
This thing is hard and will flake off if I scratch at it. What is it? How do I treat it? She is laying, eating, drinking, and acting in her normal, hateful way.

Yikes! Looks like something got infected. Reminds me of bumblefoot pics where the center is black and the surrounding area is infected and filled with pus. If you state that it would flake off if you scratch at it, then it might just fall off on its own. I would say that if your hen is not acting abnormal, you are not in any real emergency and time might work for you.

1662428758674.png

I am signing on to this thread to see if anyone with experience dealing with this issue is able to offer you some good advice. Hope things work out for your chicken.

:caf In the meantime, this short article might be helpful... COMB INFECTIONS

Last edited:
My flock has been through pox, the dry type. They broke out about a year ago and have healed. My dominicker has a spot on her head that has developed over the last 8 months or so. At first it was small and looked like some residual spots, maybe scarring. I left it alone because I thought it was pox. Then this thing started growing larger. This picture is from today. This thing is hard and will flake off if I scratch at it. What is it? How do I treat it? She is laying, eating, drinking, and acting in her normal, hateful way.
I'd apply a drop or two of Peroxide, see if it will loosen and pop out.
Looks like debris or material has collected in a nook/cranny of her comb, much like sometimes debris will collect in the webbing of a foot.

Back
Top Bottom