Advice for this newbie please...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LynnDJackson, Feb 29, 2016.

1. LynnDJackson

LynnDJackson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Humble, Texas
    Yesterday (Sunday), I went to "check out" the chicken breeder in my area. Of course I came home with 3 2-weekers. I didn't think it through because the feed stores were closed on Sunday. I have my brooder set up but no feed and no waterer. My local pet shop had nothing but tiny mealworms. SO.. I gave them a small dish of water with marbles in it and to eat, some mealworms and kale. I worried all night about that decision. They're great this morning and are very busy little things. I'll be going to the feed store in a bit. What I want is for y'all to tell me exactly what to buy.
    Like I said I got 3 that are already 2 weeks old. 1 ameraucana, 1 cinnamon queen and 1 buff orpington. My plans are pets with benefits. I want to handle them as much as possible so they'll be sweet and friendly pets that happen to provide us with fresh eggs.

Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

just get some starter feed / crumble and they will be fine. Limit any additional sources of food (or give none at all) as they will get all the nutrition they need from their feed. A feeding trough is a good idea, and a small waterer. In terms of food and water, you are set.

All the best
    CT

3. LynnDJackson

LynnDJackson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Humble, Texas
    Thanks CT! I was getting overwhelmed with info in my searches. Starter feed, grower feed, scratch. I knew not to give them tons of "treats" but I was worried they'd starve I guess. [​IMG] even though they ate at the farm in the morning.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You're most welcome - no sweat [​IMG]

Good luck!

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by