Advice for training deaf dog to ignore chickens

JemimaP

Songster
May 24, 2018
UK
hi we have an elderly deaf dog who doesn’t have a strong prey drive BUT does love to chase pigeons out of our garden. His body language is fairly relaxed when he does it. I’d like to be able to let him off lead in the garden when our new chickens are freeranging. He’s not paying any attention to them when they’re in the run but we had him on the lead just now and one ran past him and he barked and tried to chase it.
Because he’s deaf it’s difficult to use verbal cues (when he could hear he was easy to train and knew what no meant).
I feel like he probably just would chase them but not want to actually catch them but I can’t be sure.
Any tips on how you guys got to the point where you were confident to have your dog near your chickens?

Well it turned out much much much easier than we thought. A day on the lead near the chickens and he’s grasped it. Yay. (It helped that my forgetful husband also let the dog in the garden while the chickens were out, apparently he half heartedly went to chase them but they ran away, dog instantly lost interest as they didn’t fly away like the pigeons do, he’s now sunbathing next to them!)

Back
Top Bottom