Advice for Treating Bacteria Infection Around Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychickinthecountry, Nov 28, 2011.

1. citychickinthecountry

citychickinthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    I have a silkie hen (~36 weeks) that had fowl pox, but the pox areas around her eyes turned into bacteria infections thanks to her scratching and red mites. The mites are gone (and I continue to treat and monitor her for mites). I took her to the vet (avian) and he gave me some neomycin ointment to apply twice a day. I have done this for almost 2 weeks now with no huge improvement. I have also been giving her prescribed antibiotic liquid (via mouth)...sorry, can't remember the name offhand...which she finished off yesterday.

I just bought some Terramycin and started using that instead of the vet-prescribed ointment almost 3 full days ago. I use gauze and soak diluted Bactroban at least once a day.

Nothing seems to be working. She looks terrible but is otherwise acting normal. I really don't want to lose this hen, but I do understand at some point I'll have to make that decision.

She's in a cage in my laundry room in quarrantine from my other chickens. She's been there for 2 weeks.

Does anyone else have experiences with bacteria infections around the eye (e.g., how long they last, how to know if it is getting better, how long before I see any possible improvement at all, etc.)?

Anything else that anyone can suggest????

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    It sounds like you are doing and have done everything you can...

Short of taking her back to the vet, for another visit... or, maybe just make a call to the vet -- and tell them all this... the parts they don't know.

If she is feeling o.k., eating and drinking, maybe just give it some time? Give her some yogurt or buttermilk in her food to help her system recover from all the antibiotics and all.

Take care and good luck.

3. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks Chicken_Pauper. I'll try the yogurt or buttermilk. The vet already told me he has done everything he can, but I will call him in a few days if things get worse or don't improve enough to make me feel better about all this.

I'm just at a dilema with...Do I end her life and know that it was the best decision? or Do I let this take it's course and see if she improves? I'm worried that if I end her life that maybe she would have gotten better. So at the moment, I am letting nature (and medication) take its course.

One of the HUGE drawbacks of loving your animals like they are your children. [​IMG]

4. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    My Silkie hen is still plugging along (as of this morning). She eats and drinks and her scabs on her head/around eyes have not gotten any worse than when I cleaned them off on Sunday mid-day (thanks to Terramycin).

Hopefully, she is starting the progressing back toward good health. We'll see.

5. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    If in fact she had fowl pox, the lesions do not go away overnite..be patient.
    There is no absolute known treatment for fowl pox. To prevent secondary
    infection treat the bird with 1 tablespoon of powdered Terramycin per gallon of drinking water or oxytetracycline (Terramycin) per gallon of water for 3 days. I know she is not going to drink that much water in a day, but at least you will have the dosage right. Vaseline will help keep the scabs soft so you can gently remove them from the eyelids and around the mouth so the birds can see to eat and drink.

You are right by isolating her from your other birds...are any of them showing symptoms of the pox? Is that what the vet said she had?

6. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Yes, the vet said she had fowl pox. Two of my other hens got the same fowl pox "sores", but one is healed and the other has a tad bit of swelling that is clearing up.

I've been treating the infected hen for just over 2 weeks. She already had the secondary infection...pretty bad actually. It is over most of her head.

As of this morning, it "looked" a little better, but she still has soft scabs and swelling. I hate removing the scabs, but I know it has to be done. Sigh.

I have been using Terramycin ointment, but not the powder (in water). I'll get some of the powder. Thanks SunshineSilkies! [​IMG]

7. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can for her eyes. The only other thing I can think of is to try to keep her feet very clean if she's scratching at her face. When her eyes start healing, they will itch probably. Good luck with getting her better!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  8. citychickinthecountry

Oct 14, 2009
    Gainesville, Florida
    Does anyone know if there is a time limit on using Terramycin ointment? Like "you should not use it after _ days on an infection or it isn't effective"?

Also, what else can I use other than Terramycin powder? I can't seem to find it in town. I looked up Duramycin, but I'm not sure I like the sounds of it...

9. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Gallimycin is a powder that is commonly used, so you may want to do additional research on that. I don't know if you can find it locally though. Many people order meds from online stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by