1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice/help?? Maybe pregnant Doe

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kitty22496, Nov 8, 2016.

1. kitty22496

kitty22496 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    I bred my Doe 30 days ago and she hasn't had any signs of being pregnant except her swollen teets and she is expressing milk. I'm to scared to palpate her because she can get nippy if you rub on her stomach(she's always been that way).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

@FoodFreedomNow Is very knowledgeable about that stuff...

1 person likes this.
  3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    What species are you talking about?

What is your question? If you are asking if she is pregnant, the answer is, probably - some animals may show mammary development, but most don't actually start lactating unless they have something to feed it to on the way.

4. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

I'm actually not sure what she is, I rescued her.
    [​IMG]
    This picture is before I got her.
    She hasn't been trying to make a nest or anything. She only let me hold her long enough to see that she does have milk in her breasts.
    She supposedly was bred on the 10th and 11th of last month.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    OK, so this is a rabbit - you didn't mention that in your first post. [​IMG]

What sort of provisions have you made for her? Does she have a nestbox and hay (or other material?) Most does will have made some efforts at nest making by this point, but not all do. This may be a dingbat doe that simply doesn't know that she needs to make a nest for her babies, or it might be one that waits until the very last minute to do things. All you can realistically do is give her the materials and wait. If I have a doe that I suspect may not nest in her box, I line her entire cage with a ton of hay. That way, wherever she kindles, there is at least a chance that the kits will have enough insulation to keep them alive until I can find them and put them where they belong (if necessary). I have also put the doe and her nest box in a carrier and put the whole thing in my hall closet. Surprisingly, a lot of my does have gone on and kindled in the box and fed the kits just like they are supposed to with all that disruption.

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

x2...she could kindle at any time now, probably between today and the next couple of days, so I would definitely err on the side of caution and prep for kindling. If she's a first-time mother, things may not go in "textbook" fashion...she may not use her nest box, for example, so be ready to deal with the unexpected.

Some does get (extra) grumpy near kindling, so I would try not to handle her too much, especially if she seems touchy. Hope it goes smoothly.

7. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

That's the weird part. She's always grumpy and recently she's been letting me love on her.

I've given her straw and very soft wood shavings even extra hay just Incase. She hasn't tried to make a nest and she has a nest box.
    The person who I rescued her from thought she was a boy.

8. FoodFreedomNow

Thought she was a boy...[​IMG]She's very cute, BTW. Any developments today?

9. kitty22496

May 3, 2016

It seems like she's spending more time in the nest box but she's not re-arranging anything. She's not pulling out hair or anything like that.

Could she be having a false pregnancy?

10. FoodFreedomNow

It still sounds like she's pregnant to me - a false pregnancy doesn't usually last the full 31 days. Also, some does don't pull fur until right before kindling (or right after) and may not do much rearranging of the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by