Advice? Hen or not?

PnutButt

Hatching
Apr 21, 2018
I picked three of these up from a local farm supply store about 9 weeks ago. They were sold to me as sexed Ameraucauna. This morning the biggest of the three (pictured) did a little crowing. Does this look like a hen or a cockrel to you guys?
BDAA4B7E-9AE3-498C-A5E2-DC8D51681AC1.jpeg EFE0E413-C79C-49D6-8A13-03B747F2CF2B.jpeg
3D132711-180E-4870-ADE1-B15E7534A932.jpeg

It looks like a buff orpington.
Not ameraucana for sure.
If its crowing I'm going to say cockerel.
If its nine weeks old and looks like that I'm going to say cockerel.
Buff orps were always a pita to sex for me.
I remember more then a few I went back and forth about until they got old enough to get hackle feathers or not.

That is a buff orpington cockerel.

TSC does not sell actual pure ameraucana (the hatchery they order from marketthe chicks as such, though), so none of your birds will be what you thought they are. You can ost photos of the others and we will Id them for you

While it is disappointing when a "sexed pullet" turns up as an oops cockrel, the process used to sort genders of chicks is a rather complicated one and is generally 85 to 95% accurate meaning that even in sexed pullets there is that 5 to 15% chance of getting the oops male.

It probably just got in the wrong bin. And the majority of the feed store employees can barely tell ducklings from chicks. Little lone different breeds of chicks lol.

Back
Top Bottom