1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

advice? Lost one Chick today??????????????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clark, May 22, 2008.

1. Clark

Clark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Yes we lost one of our chicks today.My wife noticed that several chicks had little poop balls on there tail.Like is little hole is stopped up.Is there thing we can do to solve this problem ? Clark and Joy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry about the chick that died. Poo balls is called "pasty butt" and you need to clean it off with warm water and a wash cloth. It can plug them up and cause them to die. Often caused by chilling. Usually chilled during shipping.

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    The dirty backside is very common...just wipe them off with a warm washcloth. As for the one that died, it is probably just normal stress from travelling. I wouldn't worry yet. Last year I lost one the day after they arrived, and it was just stress I'm sure, never lost another after

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by