Advice: My chicks are hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyChildNChicks, Feb 22, 2015.

1. MyChildNChicks

MyChildNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2015
    I have a few questions. This is the first time that I have incubated any chicks. On February 1st I put 19 eggs in the incubator and all 19 made it to lock down. I now have 10 chicks that have hatched so far. I am soooo excited. My questions are: are the chicks that hatched going to mess up the hatching of the other eggs because they are rolling them all around? How long can they stay in the incubator? Some hatched yesterday morning. It seems like they are running out of room. [​IMG]

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Chicks can live on their yoke that they've absorbed just before hatching for up to three days so don't be concerned about them still being in the bator just yet. In fact, them running around will actually encourage the others to hatch. It is a proven fact. The whole point of lock down is to keep the humidity from escaping when you open the lid. If you open the bator to remove the hatched chicks, it can dramatically drop that humidity, causing those who have pipped but not hatched to become shrink-wrapped inside their eggs; effectively making it more difficult for them to survive. If it comes to the point where you just feel you HAVE to remove chicks, do so VERY quickly.

Good luck and congratulations on your new babies.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The professional commercial hatcheries don’t worry about the chicks rolling the eggs around. They are living animals so yes, stuff can happen but it seldom does. I did have half an eggshell cup around an unhatched egg once so I opened the incubator and removed it, but normally I don’t worry about the chicks rolling the eggs around. Some people really freak out about the possibility that something could possibly go wrong. Some even hatch in cutout cartons to keep the eggs from rolling around. We are all different.

Since the chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch they can go at least 3 days without eating or drinking and often a little longer. That’s why they can be mailed. The incubator is sized for a certain number of eggs and chicks. It looks crowded but they will be OK in there if you don’t take any out.

You don’t have to take any out. They are yours and can do as you wish. There is some risk of shrink-wrapping a pipped chick if you open it, but the risk is pretty small. If I have an emergency I open it and don’t worry about it, but I don’t open it unless I have a good reason. There is some risk.

4. MyChildNChicks

Jan 13, 2015
    Thanks. That helps a lot. Okay I just thought about something else. I forgot to remove one of the ventilator plugs. I have two and I only had one removed. Should I remove the other one also?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would. They need fresh air just like we do. That's the purpose of the plugs. With all those hatched chicks the humidity in there should have skyrocketed. Removing the plug will drop the humidity some but it should not be critical as much as the hatched chicks have raised it. Still if you still have a hygrometer in there, if the humidity drops too much add some water through a vent hole.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats on the newbies!!! How exciting!! I'm one of those that remove my chicks to the brooder once they are up and moving. I had a chick get hurt in my bator when I had 7 or 8 running around so I don't feel comfortable leaving them in there. (Was probably a freak low chance thing, but not a risk I am comfortable taking again.) I feel whether you remove your chicks or wait until the end of hatch should depend on your comfort level. If you are afraid of opening the bator then by all means leave them in there. As was said they can go up to three days w/o food. If you are more comfortable with moving them to the brooder and your brooder is all set to go, then by all means, put them in the brooder. Neither philosophy is wrong. It's a personal thing.

As for the vent plugs, they definitely need to be opened. I actually have mine open for the whole incubation. My sister lost the plugs before I stole her bator...lol

1 person likes this.
  7. MyChildNChicks

Jan 13, 2015
    Okay. I need more help. This poor chicken has some of the egg stuck on him. What do I do and how can I help. I just removed all the other chicks from the incubator but left this little chick in. I am also waiting on 8 more to hatch.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It doesn't look like it is hampering her movement, so I'd leave it. When she is fully dry, and if it's still an issue, you can gently use a damp paper towel or Q-tip to lift it off. Try not to get the chick's belly wet as the unbilical cord is a good place for bacterial infection from extra moisture.

9. MyChildNChicks

Jan 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    My first baby EVER!!
    [​IMG]

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Adorable! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.