ADVICE!!! My pet indoor turkey, Ginger, is suddenly sick

mjbws

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2016
Hello everyone,
My sweet 3 month old has a vet appointment tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction ...
Last night she was her usual self, but as soon as I saw her this morning, I knew something was wrong. She usually hops up out of her cage, stretches her wings, and does her "happy dance," but today she just kept lying down and wouldn't get up. Also, her food and water are usually gone by the morning, but today they weren't ...
I noticed she had been lying in her poop, so I managed to get her in the tub for a bath. When I brought her out to blow dry, she was limping on one side ...
I thought perhaps bumblefoot, but after reading about it, I don't think that's what it is. She does have outdoor time, but I'm always with her and last night she was fine, so I don't think it's a thorn or anything like that ... Maybe she ate something weird???
She is also tired all the time. I had to make her a sling to get her off the couch to bring her back to her indoor cage ...
I noticed she has yellow runny diarrhea and she is panting a lot. The house is air conditioned, very comfortable in temperature ...
I have given her an electrolyte and probiotic (Sav-A-Chick) product in her water, which she is drinking. She is eating, but I think only because I put her food bowl right in front of her. She will not get up ...
She is a broad-breasted white, and I know they are bred to be top heavy quickly, that is why she's on a lower protein diet. She's only 3 months old. Could she already be having heart or other health problems so soon???
I'm at a loss. I feel so bad for her. Here's a picture of her from this morning. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

I'm sorry you are having trouble.

I know nothing about turkeys, but hopefully this will bump your post so someone with experience in their care may be able to help.

She's a pretty bird, I hope she improves soon.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
My sweet 3 month old has a vet appointment tomorrow, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction ...
Last night she was her usual self, but as soon as I saw her this morning, I knew something was wrong. She usually hops up out of her cage, stretches her wings, and does her "happy dance," but today she just kept lying down and wouldn't get up. Also, her food and water are usually gone by the morning, but today they weren't ...
I noticed she had been lying in her poop, so I managed to get her in the tub for a bath. When I brought her out to blow dry, she was limping on one side ...
I thought perhaps bumblefoot, but after reading about it, I don't think that's what it is. She does have outdoor time, but I'm always with her and last night she was fine, so I don't think it's a thorn or anything like that ... Maybe she ate something weird???
She is also tired all the time. I had to make her a sling to get her off the couch to bring her back to her indoor cage ...
I noticed she has yellow runny diarrhea and she is panting a lot. The house is air conditioned, very comfortable in temperature ...
I have given her an electrolyte and probiotic (Sav-A-Chick) product in her water, which she is drinking. She is eating, but I think only because I put her food bowl right in front of her. She will not get up ...
She is a broad-breasted white, and I know they are bred to be top heavy quickly, that is why she's on a lower protein diet. She's only 3 months old. Could she already be having heart or other health problems so soon???
I'm at a loss. I feel so bad for her. Here's a picture of her from this morning. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!!!
How is your turkey? Does her poop look like this?

-Kathy

Oh gee, not Ginger. I love her from her photos and what you have written about her. I have sent her scarf photos all around. I had heard of people have turkey pets and how much they love them. I can believe it. Kathy please work your magic.

Oh gee, not Ginger. I love her from her photos and what you have written about her. I have sent her scarf photos all around. I had heard of people have turkey pets and how much they love them. I can believe it. Kathy please work your magic.
I wish I had seen this the day it posted because I would have suggested that the OP go straight to the vet.
sad.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom