Advice needed: Air sac at narrow end & piped at wide end

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sdurham, Dec 28, 2014.

1. sdurham

sdurham Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    It's day 20 and minutes ago I just had a chick pip at the opposite end of the air sac. She picked a great place to pip... if only it was the end with the air sac (as of day 18).

Anything I should do? Lift the piped end? Leave her be? I'm obsessing. I need coaching!

Thanks for your help.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    First try not to panic :hugs Do you mean the chick has pipped at the pointy end of the egg? Your air sac should be at the fat end of the egg and not the pointy end. If it has pipped at the pointy end of the egg its a malpositioned chick and they don't always make it and may need assistance with hatching. This is an excellent article on assisted hatching with a section all about malpositioned chicks. For now if it is the wrong end leaving it be is the best option. It still needs the time to absorb the yolk and veins etc. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    While your waiting give it a good read it explains a lot.
    Good luck :fl

1 person likes this.
  3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Eventually you'll have to intervene because the chick will have problems squeezing out or past the small pointy end of the egg. At this time there is little that interfering with nature will solve. Like you were previously advised to do, do nothing until the 21st day. If the chick fails to make it 'Que Sera Sera'.

But do remember that incubation begins as soon as the egg is laid, and that is when the proper care and feeding of hatching eggs should also begin.

4. sdurham

Nov 14, 2014
    Actually, the pip is at the large end of the egg. Its the air sac that is at the small end of the egg. So although the chick should have room, the air sac is (was) at the other end as of Day 18.

It's 3 hours later and part of the shell is now broken off. I can see movement on the other side of the membrane.

Should all be well?

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the chick is making progress that is a good sign. It has pipped through the membrane hasn't it? If not you may want to put a hole in the membrane. the membrane isn't shrink wrapped around it, right? You say that the air cell formed at the pointy end? During incubation were the eggs in a turner and did you have the pointy end up?

6. sdurham

Nov 14, 2014
    The membrane looks fully intact- no shrink wrap.

The eggs were flat on a turner. See pic.[​IMG]

7. sdurham

Nov 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

Another pic. Started 4 hours ago.

8. sdurham

Nov 14, 2014
    Pic of pip[​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not familiar with a turner like that. My only suggestion would be, if it hasn't poked through the membrane, though I'm thinking with that much shell chipped away that it has -would be to poke through, but I honestly think that's looking like a pretty good pip going on. what kind of incubator is that? I am curious as to how the eggs turn in it.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Where they shipped eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by