ADVICE NEEDED! Anybody suffer from sciatica?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by taraann81, Aug 27, 2010.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I have had three children...all natural..no meds. This pain is comnparable if not worse to labor!

It started 6 weeks ago, occasional pain in my right glut, radiating down my leg all the way to the foot.

Since sunday night it has gotten so severe that I can barely walk. I have been visiting the chirpractor daily, I am now off of work. When I stand, sit, move it almost drops me to my knees and makes me nauseous.

I am a nurse but still am at a loss as of how to make this pain bareable!

I am icing it constantly, 20mins on, 20 off. I am no longer taking any pain medication as it doesn't even dull the pain.

Can anybody help me tolerate this? Any advice is appreciated..I am desperate!

2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Muscle relaxants (flexaril, or skelaxin, the long acting form), ibuprofen and rest.

I use a TENS unit, and it helps a LOT. My chiro carried them, and prescribed one for me. If you know anybody with one, I suggest it.

Good luck. I know how horrible it is.

Once you end this round, you may want to see if you can isolate the cause. For me...I have herniated discs in L3/L4 and L4/L5. They are (most likely) related to the fact that one of my legs is slightly longer than the other (Ok....a bit more than "slightly"). Orthotics in my shoes (or at the least...motion control sneakers to stop my pronating) have helped significantly.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Cyclobenzaprine and Tramadol right now. Sometimes, Loratab. Soak in a really hot tub with Dead Sea Salt.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I used to have horrible sciatica about 9 years ago that was pretty chronic. I had one treatment with an acupuncturist who had learned a special technique in China just for sciatica. If was not the most comfortable treatment, but two days later the pain was completely gone and it has never come back. If you decide to give it a try, I would recommend that you look for someone who has studied in China. There are many good acupuncturists around, but this guy had been taught stuff that no one else I had seen before or since was using. Good luck!

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks guys! This is why I love this site! No matter what ails ya, somebody has experienced it and has good advice. A good hot soak in the tub is called for, but I am terrified that even with dh's help I won't be able to get back out.

I will have to visit my family Dr on Monday, so all prescription meds are out until then.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance but this makes me yell out loud uncontrollably, my 2 yr old now copies me whenever i scream...and he laughs!

6. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I had sciatica as a result of a herniated disc. I was in constant pain for about 4 months, couldn't get any relief unless I took pain killers which pretty much knocked me out to the point that I couldn't function.

I had surgery in February, microdiscectomy-minimally invasive, about a 2 inch incision, only in the hospital for 24 hours. The relief I felt was immediate. I'm single and had my mom stay with me the first night home, after that I was on my own taking care of a household full of animals!! Back to work at my desk job within 2 weeks. I felt some tenderness for about a month after the surgery but since then have felt amazing.

I know the pain you are going through and wish you the best of luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by