Advice needed badly!!

newandjustafew

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Red Bluff, California
Hello! Ok quick back story; one month and a day ago I bought my Japanese bantam hen (to go with my Japanese roo) after about a week she laid an egg, and then one each day after for next two days (total of 3) then she laid an egg with no shell and membrane NOT intact, first the white then the yolk plopped out (whole and un "cooked") for 2 days after she had some yellow in her droppings but NO diarrhea, I brought her in and began some antibiotics just in case of infection. After wards she's been "fine" eating, drinking, clear eyed and talking but NO MORE EGGS! Until Wednesday evening she laid one this time shell so soft it was pliable basically, and yesterday and today late morning - early afternoon she's clucking up storm and in and out (with her man of course) of nesting box. Scratching about and it appears to be she's trying to get under him I guess LOL even now she's in the yard scratching away for anything crawling to eat!

Ok--she gets layer pellets and oyster shell free choice of both, when I first got her I will admit I was giving WAAAY too many treats (strawberries r her fav) I learned it's unhealthy so I've stopped that!! Far as I can tell she's uninterested in oyster shells and also won't eat cottage cheese.

Any ideas what's goin on? I live I tehama county, CA and it's REALLY hot here in the summers, I keep everyone cool as I can (electrolites, fans, misters and LOTS of fresh cold water)

Last edited:
How old is she, I find this happens with the first few eggs my young ones lay or my oldest hens will lay an occasional egg with no shell. I don't worry about it much unless I notice it happening for a while. I give them egg shell because mine hate oyster shell or some scrambled egg with only a little cheese.

How old is she, I find this happens with the first few eggs my young ones lay or my oldest hens will lay an occasional egg with no shell. I don't worry about it much unless I notice it happening for a while. I give them egg shell because mine hate oyster shell or some scrambled egg with only a little cheese.

I don't know how old she is, the person I got her from didn't know either
1f615.png
I've tried eggs and shells with no luck!! I swear I have the pickiest 5 chickens in the world!! 2 jap bantams (1 is my roo) & 3 red sex links (3-4 months) I have begun to worry she's an internal layer or something...
I feel like a helicopter chicken mom LOL constantly hovering to make sure all is well, and I inspect more poop than I ever thought possible

Last edited:
Keep watching her to see if she lays another egg like that. It sounds like she if fine, as long as she is having normal chicken behavior she should be fine, just look to see if she is eating drinking and cleaning and all should be good. But do keep posting if you have more questions or concerns. I would like to see how she is over the next few days.

Keep watching her to see if she lays another egg like that. It sounds like she if fine, as long as she is having normal chicken behavior she should be fine, just look to see if she is eating drinking and cleaning and all should be good. But do keep posting if you have more questions or concerns. I would like to see how she is over the next few days.

Yes by all accounts she's acting totally normal, including dust bathing (had one earlier actually) and thank u for replying!!

You could look for calcium carbonate at your local feed store. It is calcium in a pebble form. We have it at our local Theisens if you have one in CA. It is ALOT cheaper that oyster shell too $3 per 50#'s. My hens love it, they wouldn't touch oyster shell either. Hope that helps..

You could look for calcium carbonate at your local feed store. It is calcium in a pebble form. We have it at our local Theisens if you have one in CA. It is ALOT cheaper that oyster shell too $3 per 50#'s. My hens love it, they wouldn't touch oyster shell either. Hope that helps..

Thank u sooo much!! I will absolutely look into that.
Quick update: I found 2 broken eggs (one VERY broke, the other just has peck hole) in the coop early this morning. I know one has to b from different day, don't know how I missed it seeing how I checked (dbl checked) but good news is THEY BOTH HAVE SHELLS
1f4aa.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png

Back
Top Bottom