Advice needed- Bloody Quail

Green Bean Quail

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
Hey all!
It’s been as hot as hell here so the quail have been lethargic, I’ve been putting in daily ice packs for them. I have a few issues. One, Rosetta, who is arguably the alpha female, showed up with a bloody beak today. To be honest, it looks like she bit her tounge. I don’t want to mess around and get her because it’s so hot already, they don’t need extra stress. I’m just planning on leaving it be and keeping tabs if it looks like it doesn’t clot well. She seems fairly unbothered. Secondly, I have a crap ton of flies. I started sprinkling lemongrass oil and feeding the quail basil to get rid of them. Any other tips? Thanks!

Hey all!
It’s been as hot as hell here so the quail have been lethargic, I’ve been putting in daily ice packs for them. I have a few issues. One, Rosetta, who is arguably the alpha female, showed up with a bloody beak today. To be honest, it looks like she bit her tounge. I don’t want to mess around and get her because it’s so hot already, they don’t need extra stress. I’m just planning on leaving it be and keeping tabs if it looks like it doesn’t clot well. She seems fairly unbothered. Secondly, I have a crap ton of flies. I started sprinkling lemongrass oil and feeding the quail basil to get rid of them. Any other tips? Thanks!
your quail should be fine. I don't do anything about flies and for heat i just put ice in their water, give them fruits, shade, and that's about all I've been able to think off. It's not 'quails need ice bath and ice in their water' weather here yet though.

your quail should be fine. I don't do anything about flies and for heat i just put ice in their water, give them fruits, shade, and that's about all I've been able to think off. It's not 'quails need ice bath and ice in their water' weather here yet though.
Yeah I wasn’t too worried about her. She’s probably the closest thing to an “alpha” quail I have-she’s a tough cookie. Just thought I should run it by you all! Thanks! What fruit do you give them?

Bloody beak usually indicates pecking. Never heard of a bird biting their tongue. Would be a good idea to look over your other quail, make sure none of them are injured.

My birds LOVE frozen watermelon slices. For flies, traps seems to work okay as long as you don't let the bird poop and uneaten food sit out too long.

I use both of these:
Screenshot_20200605-124555.png
Screenshot_20200605-124625.png

Update: I’ve been using lemongrass and it seems to be working really well. They also keep eating whatever flies come near so that’s nice too I guess. I checked over EVERY bird and not a single one has any injuries, so I’m thinking, because on a closer look her upper beak is a little stunted now, she cracked it on the brick I have for trimming. She’s fine now! Also, they lost open hutch priveleges, because Scarface got out while I wasn’t looking. Made for a very muddy bird chase as she hightailed it for the woods!

Update: I’ve been using lemongrass and it seems to be working really well. They also keep eating whatever flies come near so that’s nice too I guess. I checked over EVERY bird and not a single one has any injuries, so I’m thinking, because on a closer look her upper beak is a little stunted now, she cracked it on the brick I have for trimming. She’s fine now! Also, they lost open hutch priveleges, because Scarface got out while I wasn’t looking. Made for a very muddy bird chase as she hightailed it for the woods!
If I had a dollar for every time I chased a quail thru the yard toward the woods...

If I had a dollar for every time I chased a quail thru the yard toward the woods...
And it’s always my scissor beak one! Like damn does she realize she has the SMALLEST chance out of all of my quail for survival? She can’t even eat without me grinding food! 😂😂

Back
Top Bottom