1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

:( advice needed chicken harmed badly!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by girlychick, Aug 30, 2010.

1. okay well I'm sure most of you heard we were trying to get all our chickens friendly and a flock we had two in there that knew each other since they were born. The other two we got about 13 weeks ago. We tried to get them in there when they were babies and it didn't really work out so for the past 5 weeks we've been trying to move in the younger ones but the bully kept pecking them. So last night we put them in there and yeah there were a few pecks here and there, but nothing bad at all! So we did it and moved them out there, they slept in there just fine. In the morning they were just fine again just a few pecks every so often, so I get home and find one of the chickens sticking his head in the ground. I saw that and I though he was decapitated or something, but he wasn't he was just scared. Then we couldn't find Pecky she was in the shade doing the same thing except she got hurt. Her ear is bloody, she has a lot of head damage you can see blood. I never thought it would have gotten this bad. We are going to sell the chickens(not on here) either when pecky gets healed or tomorrow so we can sleep on it. We need some injury advice, we got the neospron cream and put it on a cue-tip and put that were the injuries were. And I am hoping she doesn't get an infection or dies. But if anyone has any tips please please let us know we can use all the help we can get right now.
    I'll keep you guys updated on the situation please help.

2. Cinderellasnickers08

Cinderellasnickers08 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    New birds have to be integrated slowly, where they can all see ea other. Try putting a devider up with chicken wire so they can still be
    around ea other, and safe. It will take about 3-4 wks average. If it's not working this fast, try little visits after that amount of time has passed with supervision to make sure they are fine. But keep the devider up when you are not around them. This will get them all thinking as a whole flock, not as separate newbies coming in to attack. Patience! It works.

3. Quote:This isn't really an option first we don't really have the money(if we did we would just buy another coop) and our yard is very small! Were not on a farm its a postage stamp backyard. We are almost sure were selling them ever since we got them we have put them together every chance we got! You can look at my other threads about this. And the pullets are terrified of the chickens! I mean ter-ri-fied!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: