Advice needed...did I lose them all?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so background...LG still air, auto turner...hatched out 3 of 3 fertilized eggs first time. They hatched Sept. 26th. Sept 28th, at 9am, set 30...a mix of 18 shipped eggs and 12 from my own flock. Candled day 6, marked the ones we thought had trouble, day 10, and got rid of 8. Day 16, got rid of 4 more that were questionable the last time, and showed no growth, leaving us with 18 viable and confirmed alive and moving on day 16. Lock down, day 19, was Sunday morning.

We're now on day 22, which means 4 days in lock down. No pips, and I can't hear anything going on. Removed each one from the bator for a very, very quick inspection, two at a time (wife was helping), to look for pips and to hold up to ear to listen for anything. After putting them back, might have seen one move. Not seeing anything else.

So...opinions? I don't think I had any low temp spikes that would have caused a late hatch. Might have had a few high temp ones, but very short lived and only to about 104. All 18 were viable just a few days ago. Where am I at here? I'm in no hurry to pitch them down the mountain or anything, but I am worrying. With so many different egg sources (5 different hens), shouldn't I be seeing something by now? Is the fact that nothing has happened a sign of some kind of event or issue that killed all of them?

How long do let this go and seriously continue to hope that something can still happen?

2. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    How certain are you of your temperature and humidity? Are you using just one thermometer? Being off by even one degree can greatly impact the length of incubation. I feel for you ... I had two of my three hatch this morning, but I had a feeling the third one wasn't doing anything. The air cell was HUGE. Did an eggtopsy and it seems to have died around three days ago.

I wish you the best, man. I feel like we've been hatch buddies this whole time ... I've been pulling for you! Fingers are still crossed! What size were your air cells when you candled? Have you bumped your humidity yet?

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We use 2 thermometers, one digital and one that came with the incubator. Humidity since lockdown has been between 60-72%. Air cells on most looked correct for day 16 but a couple did seem larger than they should be. I've been watching your posts too and I'm glad to see that some were a success. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. [​IMG]

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:What has your humidity been during incubation? During lockdown I try to keep the humidity at least around 65% to 75%. I think your humidity during lockdown has been ok. Did you calibrate your hygrometer? http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

I haven't calibrated, but it seemed to work very good the last round. Too late for this one, but I'll do that next time. Thanks for the link...

I never allowed the humidity to go below 25% during the first 18 days, but most of the time it was around 35 or 40%. I added water once at the beginning, a little, and then once again around day 10. That was the only water until lock down.

7. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:

8. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    just don't mess with them and give the a couple more days. You eggs are really only 1 day late right now they should have been due yesterday so i wouldn't worry about it just yet. Just leave them alone and give them a couple more days, if still nothing in a couple day then yes i would just throw them out. Good luck to you though and i hope you have some new chicks soon.

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    End of day 22...still no pips [​IMG]

10. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    did you float test them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by