Advice needed - Drake with prolapsed phallus

DucksnDaffodils

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice!! Yesterday I noticed that my drake was kind of not staying with the group, and acting a little odd. So I caught him and sure enough he has a prolapsed phallus. Wilberforce is a Welsh Harlequin and is only 14 weeks old, but he matured very fast and I noticed him last week mating with some of his girls (he has 5 WH females the same age as him). It was bleeding a little when I first found it, but is still very pink and doesn't seem to be swollen at all. So I assume I caught it right away. I have him separated (so sorry for him!!) with a little box to sleep in and food and water. I have put his phallus back in 3 times since last night. It seems to come out when he poops. I have put which hazel on it (he hates it!) 2 of the times. But I am not sure what else to do. I got super scared reading some of the other threads on this, with people talking about snipping it off, and drakes not being able to mate any more, because I was so hoping to breed WH's with him as my drake. But after reading more I definitely don't think he is that far. It does not look infected, and this morning when I first checked on him it seemed like it had come out, and he had pulled it in a little on his own, because it definitely wasn't out as much as it was later right after he pooped.

So, what should I do?? I hate to keep him separated, and his girls aren't to happy without him either, but if that is the only way... Should I give him a bath in the tub. Is there anything I should put in his water or food to help (he seems a little down and drowsy) what should I put on the phallus when I put it back in? Is there a particular way to put it back in, or do you just shove it back (embarrassing I know but I need to know!) Should I check on him every hour and put it back in each time if it is out, or let him try to do it on his own? We have dealt with Hens (chicken) prolapsed vents (I can't remember the proper name right now) but never with a drake. So this is new. Any help would be appreciated!

Good news!! I stuck him in the bathtub with luke warm water. I was worried because he really did not look good outside. Kind of hunched up and convulsing his bottom like it was bothering him. I brought him in, put his phallus back (yes it was out again! :( ) then stuck him in the bath. He used to LOVE bath time when he was little, and lettuce too. But now he just kind of sat there despite the lettuce I threw him. He was in there for 10 minutes or so not doing anything, and I went and checked on him, and heard him poop (gross I know but its true!) and saw that it was out again.... I decided to wait a little as he was obviously trying to fix the problem himself. After maybe a minute I picked him up to put it back in and it was almost all the way in!! With just a little bit sticking out!!!!!!!!!!! So happy, I helped him the rest of the way, and now he is splashing and flapping and sounding much happier. Maybe the warm water really helped!

I would still appreciate any advice! I know I have a long way to go....

Last edited:
Good news!! I stuck him in the bathtub with luke warm water. I was worried because he really did not look good outside. Kind of hunched up and convulsing his bottom like it was bothering him. I brought him in, put his phallus back (yes it was out again! :( ) then stuck him in the bath. He used to LOVE bath time when he was little, and lettuce too. But now he just kind of sat there despite the lettuce I threw him. He was in there for 10 minutes or so not doing anything, and I went and checked on him, and heard him poop (gross I know but its true!) and saw that it was out again.... I decided to wait a little as he was obviously trying to fix the problem himself. After maybe a minute I picked him up to put it back in and it was almost all the way in!! With just a little bit sticking out!!!!!!!!!!! So happy, I helped him the rest of the way, and now he is splashing and flapping and sounding much happier. Maybe the warm water really helped!

I would still appreciate any advice! I know I have a long way to go....
Sounds like it may fix itself with a little rest, don't put him back with the girls. maybe fix him a little fenced off area where they can all be together but he can't mate with them, I would keep him separate for at least a month most say 3.

Pheww! A month is a looonnngg time! I was keeping him up front by the house (the girls are back by the pond) because I didn't want him agitated. But you think I should let them see each other and "talk"?

It was funny, I just tried to take him out of the tub so he could dry off and go back to his pen, but he tried to climb/fly back in. So he is just hanging in the tub, actually falling asleep now. :p

Pheww! A month is a looonnngg time! I was keeping him up front by the house (the girls are back by the pond) because I didn't want him agitated. But you think I should let them see each other and "talk"?

It was funny, I just tried to take him out of the tub so he could dry off and go back to his pen, but he tried to climb/fly back in. So he is just hanging in the tub, actually falling asleep now. :p
I would let them see each other but be aware he may climb a fence, if he keeps mating it will never heal and it will get worse. I was thinking at least if he can see the girls he'll be happier than if he was secluded from them completely. I bet the water feels good to him.

Keep him separated, yeah. At least for a couple weeks, then maybe a trial run of one day to see how he does. I had the same thing happen with my young drake a couple years ago - everyone told me it'd be a chronic problem. Nah he was just an overeager young guy in his first season, and recovered and never had problems afterward, and none of his offspring have had similar issues.

You're giving him time to let swelling go down, but also he's building the muscles to put his lipstick back in his purse. I'd recommend a plastic cement mixing pan from the hardware store in his enclosure for water, it's big enough to sit in. If it gets stuck out, then being in the water gives it a chance to stay moist. I put vaseline on it at first when I stuffed my guy's back in, but I wouldn't recommend it because it made his feathers around the vent all waterlogged. Maybe KY? Not sure how buying KY for the duck dong compares to buying incontinence pads for the duckling brooder, on the scale of check-out embarrassment. I don't even care anymore.
lol.png

You're both building skills from this experience. I got so I could sweep him up in the crook of my arm, hold him on his back like a baby, and stick his doodle back in with the other hand, in one smooth motion.

I hope I never have to use that on a résumé.

Oh and yeah he'd be miserable if he couldn't see other ducks. If you can work out a fence situation, he'd be happier. BTW mine lost a lot of weight when I had to separate him. He was sad, but he was fine. I had him in a dog crate in the pen, but mine free-range on a pond so he was the kid who had to stay in the classroom at recess and it was a bummer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom