Advice needed for care of Duckling

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
Lost a duckling as it piped too early and broke the membrane and died.
Then the second Duckling hatched fine. Bit of goo still attached but the egg was clean inside and the bird was fine and is doing great today. The Ducklings hatch day IS today but they .are 24 hrs early. Lost one on Tuesday. Think the heat in the bator might have got too hot or something?

Anyhow the last one was pipped for a longtime and nothing happened. The other one hatched int hat time fine but there was little progress with this one. Last night on advice we intervened and helped as much as we could. However we were scared to do this as the dead one was "well under done" and we did not want a repeat o that. When we saw blood veins we stopped.

We eventually had a hatch at 1.30 am this morning. - The baby was very very weak. The inside of the shell was blooded "nothing to do with our helping!!!! " As we never touched the veins. - There was NO sack on the baby not even a trace and NO goo either. Just incredibly weak so if we had not intervened I doubt if he would be here at all.

Anyhow - now at 17.20 pm he is all fluffed out and beautiful but we have an issue with one leg. HE cannot weight bare and the leg goes out to the side and the little foot closes like an umbrella and the leg seems a little swollen. However when I lift him he can move the leg and foot and the foot opens. though there does not seem to be any strength in the leg no resistance if I push gently against it the other leg seem ok? He is NOT on a flat surface he is still in the bator with a surface that is easy to grip.
Is this developmental or hatch injury? Can it be fixed? will he get the strength to stand on it with physio?????

I have never hatched ducklings before last month and have two healthy ones int he yard and the two in the bator. SO I have very little Duck experience?
Oes?

This seems to happen quite a bit with the foot & leg. One thing I know that helps...swim therapy. Put the 'ling in enough warm water (like kitchen sink) so he can float/swim. Watch him swim for 10-15 minutes. Don't want the water to get cold with him in it. Do this 3 or 4 times a day. You could also add epsom salt to the water for 1 or 2 swims, but it's important that he doesn't drink the salt water as it will have the effect of a laxative. Dry him well after swim time so he doesn't get chilled.

I've recently been on at least 2 threads with the same issue. I'll go get links that you might find helpful and post them here.

I shared links in the thread below as did another member.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duckling-leg-issue-need-help.1187305/#post-18749225

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom