Advice needed for goat fencing!

lmhirak

Hatching
7 Years
May 17, 2012

I have 2 pygmy goats that I got from my neighbors about a year ago when they had to move. The fencing that I have set up for them has been working fine until recently. They have been escaping. I don't see any obvious areas of weakness in the fencing so I am not sure how they are getting out. Maybe they are jumping the fence? My neighbors are concerned about their garden so I'm in a bit of a panic to get their fencing reinforced or new fencing all together. I have read a few different things about fencing for goats. I would prefer not to go with electric fencing or barbed wire. I read that hog panels work well but the ones I have found are 48" high and I worry that wouldn't be tall enough.
Below is the set up I have now. This picture is from last year and since then there has been some wear on the fencing...it sags down a little bit in some areas.
They are being kept in the lean-to right now and I have the bottom half boarded so they (hopefully) can't get out. They are not happy about this and I would like to get this problem solved soon!
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Some of them can be incredible jumpers so you may need to put up a 6 foot fence.

Also check the bottom of the fence. If you've got sagging at the top then you're likely to have looseness at the bottom in places. They can squeeze under the fence if you can lift the fence with your foot. If this is the problem then you can put concrete blocks or railroad ties at the bottom of the fence to fix the issue.

Come check out the sister site, Back Yard Herds, for more ideas and information about goats.

Smaller breeds tend to be quite the escape artist. I couldnt exactly tell what your fence is made of. The panels you spoke do work well. I have a Nigerian Dwarf and she is in her own pan that is built with stock panels & she has never gotten out once. I beleive there is a 16' panel goat fence that is higher than 4' at Tractor Supply carries but it is a bit costly but you wouldnt have to worry about them getting out. Just wanted to let you know. Good luck.
D.gif

Thanks so much!! I will look into those options and get things fixed up so the goats can be out and about happily again!

We have pygmys and have had no escapes - yay! We have 5' no climp 2"X4" fencing using landscape timbers as posts. We 'wove' the fencing between the posts so when the goats push on it to scratch they can't break it down. They also can't get their heads caught in the 2X4 holes like they can in 4X4 fencing. Our neighbor lost a baby girl that way - she got caught and broke her neck when she panicked. It might be overkill but it is worth it as we don't worry at all about them getting out or predators getting in. (we also put everyone in the barn at night as we have cayotes around.)

I discovered that my goats were using their horns to lift up the fencing at the bottom. I added some posts and tightened the fencing. I also added some hog panels to the areas they were escaping from. So far I have had no further problems with the goats getting out. I will just need to keep checking for areas they have been working on loosening up and re-securing them until I am ready to invest in new fencing.
I recently placed an order with scratchnall.com. I am excited to set up these scratching pads for the goats. Hopefully that will keep them from scratching on the fence.

Back
Top Bottom