Advice needed for safe to use wood chips, >>NOT AN EMERGENCY<<

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trimurtisan, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM.

1. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Hi guys! I wasn't really sure where to put this, so if admin feels it should be moved, that's okay.

Although I do not have an emergency, I am trying to prevent them in the future. I am in the process of signing up for a free load of wood chips, and need advice what to avoid. The chips are provided for free, and there will be a load of 20 cubic yards. Though I do not get a choice of what woods I want, I can request what wood to not be used assuming I have a good reason. Harming my flock is not worth free wood chips. However having the proper wood could massively help me with some of my projects. Not to mention, free happens to fit right in to me budget.

I know cedar should be avoided, but am not experienced enough to know what other woods or oil from them can cause harm to my flocks health.

In regards to the birds here, we have ducks, chickens and guineas.

I'm not sure on the rules in regards to posting outside links, but if anyone is in Florida and would like some info please feel free to pm me for details. Or if it is okay to post it, I'd happily make a thread to help spread the awareness of the program.

Any help and suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,
    Chris.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  2. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Not familiar with FL flora, but - Do you have poison ivy or poison oak where you are? Would recommend you avoid that for your own sake and your kids' if you have any, if not for your chooks. Good decision re the cedar ;)

3. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    We do have both in the area, but to the best of my understanding it shouldn't be in the wood. The program is something set up to give arborist a place to take their "waste" all while helping local gardeners. Their waste is my gold. Though, I will put them on the "no no" list just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    No, do NOT use cedar. It's toxic to chickens, and other pets. I use pine shavings for my girls. They even eat it with no problem.

5. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Check! Thanks you! :D

6. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
  7. jaxonann

jaxonann Chirping

Jul 7, 2019
    Dallas, TX
    I thought I was going crazy thinking my girls were eating the shavings! THANK YOU!!!:th

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Black walnut in quantity would be a bad idea too. Probably it doesn't grow near you though? Japanese yew is very toxic to many mammals, but maybe not chickens? Check on the Florida thread, and also your state horticulturalists, and maybe ask the tree service what they are likely to have.
    Mary

9. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Yeah, mine too, since they were tiny. At 12-13 weeks now, it doesn’t seem to have killed them!

I worried terribly for the first week. But they were on pine shavings at the feed store, so I thought it was probably okay. Goofballs.

10. Trimurtisan

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Thank you for the link. I'm sure most of my concern will be addressed there.
    I use pine shavings in anywhere that I need bedding. This is not for their coop though, it's for my property but the birds will have access to it also. I do not get a choice of what wood I can receive, only a choice of what not to receive.

RhodeIslandRed5 and jaxonann like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: