1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice needed for some new at raising chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SnuggleBear, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SnuggleBear

SnuggleBear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    South Central Kentucky
    I am new at raising chickens. My first set of peepers just turned six months old. They are all mixed bantams. My problem is that I thought one of my birds was a hen and then last week one morning when I let them out for the day (they free range) she got in a fight with one my roos. Flying in feet first, neck feathers flared out and all. I’ve been watching ever since but I’ve never seen it crow are act like a roster. Normally in the mornings my three rosters are frisky and chasing the hens around doing their business. This morning one the rosters chased down the hen/roster in question and did his business. Now I am so confused. Is it a hen that likes to fight?

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    If a rooster did his business with the hen/rooster in question, I would assume that the one in question is a hen and she was just fighting with the rooster the other day. They are still young at 6 months and she probably won't continue to do so as he matures. I have saw hens fight with each other and young hens fight with young roosters over food.

3. SnuggleBear

SnuggleBear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    South Central Kentucky
    That's what I thought, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by