Advice needed on 1 month old chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IrlJamie, Aug 5, 2009.

1. IrlJamie

IrlJamie Hatching

Aug 5, 2009
    We have 3 almost three month old chicks, and 9 one month old chicks. We also have a really large & secure henhouse & run (which the 3 three month olds are in currently, the one months are in a small, temporary place).

My question is: could we put our one months in the same run & house as our 3 months, or is that a good way for them to get hurt or "pecked" more so than normal?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Personally, I wouldn't do it.

With that age difference, I wouldn't put them together until the younger ones are at least 16 weeks old.

Older birds can be MEAN... I just put four 16 week olds in with some that are 25 weeks old... and the 16 week old birds spend most of the time on the roosts because they are terrified of the older birds.

3. IrlJamie

IrlJamie Hatching

Aug 5, 2009
    Okay, thanks for the help!

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I agree ... no bueno not yet......

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Yeah - I was stupid today and put my 2 weekers in with the 11 weekers - They were not amused! I had to catch the two 11 weekers to round up the four 2 weekers..

Don't do it!
    [​IMG]
    Caroline
    Jax FL

6. gardenak

gardenak Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    Even at the same age putting new birds in with an existing flock doesn't always wind up like the Brady bunch. I have 4 birds now that spend all day inside on the roosts because the big bullies are out in the run. The only way they come down is when the doors are open and the bullies go to another part of the yard. I really hope they get over this soon, I feel bad for the new girls.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wouldn't. I'd wait until they are a little older and closer to the same size.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: